Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Scandalously Yours - Review


Scandalously Yours by Cara Elliott

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Olivia Sloane had an unusual childhood with her forward thinking archaeologist father.  She's far more interested in political issues than parties and finds chess far more interesting than fashion.  The Earl of Wrexham is back from the war and has been labeled the Perfect Hero.  He has taken his seat in the House of Lords to argue for social reform.  He is shocked to discover that the political columnist he's been so avidly reading and searching for just happens to be the same Miss Sloane who never seems to be able to keep her hair or her tongue under control.

Genre: Historical Romance

My Impression: I don't even know where to begin on this book my reactions were so mixed.  I didn't really care for the first half at all.  I found Olivia somewhat irritating with her outspokenness and inability to understand that her actions in society could affect her sisters.  John had basically no personality.  He was intelligent but had no warmth and that included his dealings with his son, 10 year old Prescott.  I liked Prescott but his role was fairly large in the first half of the book and it definitely would've hurt the romance factor for me if there had been any at that point.  The first half of the book almost reads as two separate stories.  One is a serious historical romance regarding social reform, the second is a lighthearted children's book about a precocious child and his friend trying to find his father the perfect wife.  It was a little jarring to say the least. The physical relationship that develops seems completely out of sync with John's personality.  At about the halfway mark something happens which almost made me put the book down and call it a day.  Then I read a few more pages.  Somehow John and Olivia go from people I didn't like to a team that works together and respect each other.  Suddenly the relationship developed and it really seemed to work.  I ended up finishing this book enjoying it and believing that John and Olivia could actually work as a couple and isn't that the entire point of a romance?

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?:  With reservations, I'm looking forward to Anna's book but don't know if I'll read any further

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Probably not just a little too uneven for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment