Saturday, August 22, 2026

The Innocence of Father Brown - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton

Rating: Liked It (3 Stars)
Source: Purchased

Description:
  Chesterton portrays Father Brown as a short, stumpy Roman Catholic priest, with shapeless clothes and a large umbrella, and an uncanny insight into human evil. "How in Tartarus," cried Flambeau, "did you ever hear of the spiked bracelet?" -- "Oh, one's little flock, you know!" said Father Brown, arching his eyebrows rather blankly. "When I was a curate in Hartlepool, there were three of them with spiked bracelets."
Not long after he published Orthodoxy, G. K. Chesterton moved from London to Beaconsfield, and met Father O'Connor. O'Connor had a shrewd insight to the darker side of man's nature and a mild appearance to go with it--and together those came together to become Chesterton's unassuming Father Brown. Chesterton loved the character, and the magazines he wrote for loved the stories. The Innocence of Father Brown was the first collection of them, and it's a great lot of fun.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:
Chesterton was a contemporary of Christie (well maybe not exactly but there was overlap) and I've been wanting to read his Father Brown series.

My Impression: This first collection is a series of short stories all featuring Father Brown in varying degrees.  I found the more Father Brown was present the more I enjoyed the story.  Chesterton writes a good mystery and creates a good story.  Father Brown is a delightful character - incredibly aware of the evil in the world but never breaking from his somewhat bumbling priest character.  

My primary issue with this collection is that Chesterton is very fond of a well-turned phrase.  So fond that at times it feels like the story itself gets a bit lost in the clever writing.  This story collection works well for a slow read.  I am looking forward to watching the TV adaptation as Father Brown is a fantastic character and I will also be (slowly) reading the rest of the series.  While I do enjoy them frequently the story itself gets lost in the prose which did keep me from really loving them.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Yes, but mostly because I already own the remaining volumes in this series.  I'm not sure I'd search the other books out.

Would I Recommend this Book? Maybe?  If you're a big fan of classic style mysteries or like a slow read with a fun twist this is a good collection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment