Source: Publisher
Description: t’s just another day in the small town of Heft when Ali follows up on reports of an escaped pride of peacocks stirring up trouble in a once quiet cul-de-sac. A routine call, a case of fuss and feathers, Ali suspects. But what she discovers inside the house the birds have invaded is far from routine. The couple who live there have been receiving anonymous hate letters.
Letters that are at once threatening and suspiciously personal.
As Ali and Wilson investigate, they dig up long-buried secrets at the heart of the community. Every detail they uncover brings them closer to the truth, that someone in Heft will stop at nothing to keep their past hidden…
Genre: Mystery - Cozy
Why I Picked This Book: I really enjoyed the first book in the series so I was looking forward to ore time with Ali and Wilson.
My Impression: I really enjoyed the first book in this series about a police sergeant in a small village dealing with the mostly small and petty day to day complaints with the help of her dog. I'm a little confused about Wilson's role as he doesn't function as a typical police K9 but I'm more than willing to work with that.
The book starts with Ali getting a visit from a retired colleague telling a long-winded tale about peacocks invading a neighborhood. When Ali goes to investigate all is not what it seems and very few things in the report add up to what Ali sees.
This is very much a slice of life cozy. Ali goes about her day and interacts with the people in her life and in her community. She talks about dinner, work stuff, and how to balance her life and her work - especially as she is in the very middle of the village. Because of this it can take awhile for the story to develop and to really hook the reader. I was feeling a bit distracted when I first started this one and it took me awhile to get into the flow of the story and start enjoying it. If I had been a bit less scattered, I think I would have enjoyed it more though I still don't think it would have been a fast read.
I like Ali and the rest of the characters in this story. The premise of the village police officer is a good one that adds variety to the story. The mystery itself is good even if the ending felt a bit rushed. This isn't a book I'd recommend if you have a lot of things going on and I'd definitely recommend reading the first book before picking this one up. Overall, this is an entertaining mystery that isn't too quirky or too gritty and was a good if slower read.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I would. While this wasn't my favorite, I did enjoy it and I really liked the first book.
Would I Recommend this Book? Yes, though I would recommend starting with the first book and making sure you're in the right frame of mind before picking this one up.
* I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As always my opinions and impressions are completely my own. *
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I would. While this wasn't my favorite, I did enjoy it and I really liked the first book.
Would I Recommend this Book? Yes, though I would recommend starting with the first book and making sure you're in the right frame of mind before picking this one up.
* I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As always my opinions and impressions are completely my own. *

No comments:
Post a Comment