Source: Purchased
Description: Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, Agatha Christie’s delightful sleuthing duo, investigate the strange and troubling doings behind the scenes at a gothic British nursing home in By the Pricking of My Thumbs
When Tommy and Tuppence visit an elderly aunt in her gothic nursing home, they think nothing of her mistrust of the doctors; after all, Ada is a very difficult old lady.
But when Mrs. Lockett mentions a poisoned mushroom stew and Mrs. Lancaster talks about "something behind the fireplace," Tommy and Tuppence find themselves caught up in a spine-chilling adventure that could spell death for either of them.
Genre: Mystery - Classic
Why I Picked This Book: This was the August Read Christie Challenge pick.
My Impression: I really really want to love this one. I love this premise. A chance remark and a gifted painting start Tuppence out on a mission to locate a house. Then Tuppence being Tuppence ends up falling into a massive situation. I've seen the focus on residents of nursing homes popping up more and more in modern mysteries which I thoroughly enjoy. Just because someone is not physically strong or mentally together in present day does not represent how they always were and everyone has a past. And some of those pasts aren't going to be nice.
Unfortunately, this story feels disjointed and highly coincidental. It's one of those that I enjoy pretty well when I'm reading it but reflecting back on it there is very little substance. Also, I understand that England isn't the biggest country but the number of people from all across the countryside who are linked and know each and every obscure mention is a bit hard to believe.
This was published in 1968 and is one of Christie's later books. The Tommy and Tuppence stories aren't her best and this isn't the best Tommy and Tuppence (it's not her worst though -that is reserved for the final Tommy and Tuppence book Postern of Fate). It's a fun read and I love the idea of it - I just wished the execution lived up to the premise.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course! Next month's book is Endless Night which is one I remember enjoying.
Would I Recommend this Book? No not unless you're determined to read all the Christie books. If you want to read a Tommy and Tuppence book I'd recommend A Secret Adversary.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course! Next month's book is Endless Night which is one I remember enjoying.
Would I Recommend this Book? No not unless you're determined to read all the Christie books. If you want to read a Tommy and Tuppence book I'd recommend A Secret Adversary.
No comments:
Post a Comment