Friday, August 14, 2026

Friday Fives - Five Quick Reviews for Series I'm Currently Reading


I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  I'm working on catching up on 10 different series and decided to put a few reviews of them all together here.


1.  Queen of Hearts by Rhys Bowen - This was a fun read in a series that I tend to really enjoy.  Georgie is off to California with her mother, Claire Daniels, who is eventually heading to Reno to obtain a divorce.  On the ship to America Claire is pulled into the circle of a movie producer and an old acquaintance who is working on a film.  A jewel thief is also sneaking about causing international incidents.  The murder doesn't occur to almost halfway through the book but between the jewel thief intrigue and the world of movies there's so much going on that I didn't mind in the slightest.  There is a small plot hole or two, but the solution was otherwise satisfying, and this was a fun fast read.  My rating: Really Liked it (4 Stars)


2.  Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail by Emily Brightwell -
I've really enjoyed the later books in this series and have really liked going back and starting the series from the beginning.  It's definitely getting stronger as it goes along and this 6th book in the series may be my favorite so far.  When a flower seller is murdered the investigation has a powerful person behind it making sure the woman's death isn't overlooked.  I really like the dual investigations - the official one with DI Witherspoon and the one going on behind the scenes with his housekeeper, Mrs. Jeffries directing the other employees of the household.  I love the dynamic of both and how the characters are evolving.  I also really enjoyed seeing the creative ways that the staff manages to get their evidence into Witherspoon's hands without arousing suspicion.  This is a good cozy historical mystery series with an entertaining plot and a solid mystery.  My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)


3.  Marshmallow Malice by Amanda Flower -
This is the fifth book in the Amish candy shop series featuring Bailey King and a whole host of side characters - some Amish and some not.  It makes for an interesting and sometimes complicated dynamic as the suspects and witnesses are a mix of Amish and English.  The mystery itself is a fun one with a woman being found dead shortly after she causes a disruption at a wedding and her background is far from clear cut.  I enjoyed Bailey's investigation and was really thrilled that Cass is in town for most of the book.  My only negative with this book is that Juliet and Jethro drive me crazy and Jethro especially had a lot of page time.  That pig is a menace!  There's some personal life updates for Bailey which I enjoyed.  Overall, this is a fun entry into an enjoyable cozy series.  My Rating: Liked It!  (3.5 Stars)


4.  The Book Stops Here by Kate Carlisle -
This is the 8th book in the Bibliophile series about bookbinder Brooklyn Wainwright.  This was a lot of fun.  Brooklyn has gotten involved with essentially Antiques Roadshow as the local book expert and one particularly gorgeous volume of The Secret Garden catches her eye.  Shortly thereafter a murder, a stalking case, and a number of other misadventures start happening in quick succession.  I loved the behind the scenes of the antique show and the description of the beautiful books.  The pacing was good and the story was engaging.  The conclusion felt a little off the wall but overall it did make sense.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)


5.  Murder in the Paperback Parlor by Ellery Adams -
I can't make up my mind about how I feel about this series.  This is the second book in the series and for the first half of this one I had decided it would be my last.  But then once the investigation really kicked off I found myself really enjoying it.  I do love the team (even though I find the whole reason they're there a little bizarre) and how they work together.  I also love the idea of the cozy book themed manor house hotel.   Jane is a good lead for a cozy series and isn't too prickly or TSTL.  The mystery is an interesting one and I did like the reveal.   After a kind of dull first part and a fun second half with a good mystery I will probably continue with the series though it is on probation.  My Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment