Saturday, February 8, 2020

Duchess in Love - Historical Romance Review

Goodreads:  Duchess in Love (Duchess Quartet #1) by Eloisa James

Rating: Liked It
Source:  Library

Description:  A DUKE IN RETREAT

Gina was forced into marriage with the Duke of Girton at an age when she'd have been better off in a schoolroom than a ballroom. Directly after the ceremony her handsome spouse promptly fled to the continent, leaving the marriage unconsummated and Gina quite indignant.

A LADY IN THE MIDDLE

Now, she is one of the most well-known ladies in London ... living on the edge of scandal --- desired by many men, but resisting giving herself to any one.

A DUCHESS IN LOVE

Finally, Camden, the Duke of Girton, has returned home, to discover that his naive bride has blossomed into the toast of the ton. Which leaves Cam in the most uncomfortable position of discovering that he has the bad manners to be falling in love --- with his own wife!

Genre: Romance - Historical 

Why I Picked This Book:  This was a book I picked up on a whim at the library.  I've heard of Eloisa James' books for years but haven't really read much from her.  The blurb on this one sounded interesting.

My Impression:  I read an Eloisa James book years ago and then never really picked up anything else from her.  My feelings about that first book were on the mixed side - there were parts I really really liked and then parts I really really didn't.  My feelings about this book were not quite as divided but they were still mixed.  The writing pulled me in and made for a fast read.  I really liked Gina and Esme and the rest of her friends.  But there is a LOT going on in this book.  Multiple marriages are being dealt with.  There's an estate to be managed, blackmail to be dealt with, scandal sprinkled about, and a dukedom to be saved.  Most of it was entertaining or interesting but there were a few I could have done without.

The relationship between Cam and Gina was interesting.  They had started off as friends and even with everything that happened they had remained friends.  I was frustrated by the conflict because it seemed like their communication was so great and then suddenly they couldn't talk to each other.  As well it felt like the conclusion was really rushed.  The rest of the book had progressed with so much detail that to have a pretty major development referred to as an afterthought threw me a little.

I don't think Eloisa James will ever be on my favorite romance author but I did enjoy this one and am curious to see how her more recent books compare as this was published in 2002.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Maybe though I think I'll try some of her newer books.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you enjoy historical romance then I think this is well done though perhaps a little dated.

No comments:

Post a Comment