Saturday, September 29, 2018

2018 Third Quarter Check In

At the beginning of 2018 I made a list of Bookish Goals.  One of my overall goals for the year is to actually accomplish some things I want to do instead of just talking about how much I want to do them.  I've been fairly successful on the non-bookish front but I felt like a check in was needed over here in book land.

Succeeding:

Keep an eye out for independent bookstores - I haven't been traveling so I haven't done very well here but my attitude is good and if we do go anywhere I fully intend to check for an indie bookstore so I'm calling this is a win.

Make progress on a series I've neglected - I have!  I've really only focused on a couple of series but progress is progress.

Spend some time using a coloring book while listening to an audio book - I haven't really done this often but have been trying to work in audio books into anything relaxing and I'm really enjoying it!



Create some kind of system for incoming books - I actually did this!  I cleaned out a bookshelf that was in what is now a storage room and have a whole process for incoming books.  I'm really enjoying it.  Eventually, I'm going to get that whole room cleared out and turn it into a library but it's all stuff kids left when they left for college so it'll take some time.


Complete the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2018  Reading Challenge - I'm doing really well here and have pretty much every category filled in.  I'm looking for a book that won an award in 2018 and a book over 500 pages.  



Failing:

Read 200 Books - I'm at 108 and I'm starting to lose confidence in catching up.  I have a bunch of books that I'm pretty much done with and if I get them all done then I have a chance but I'm just not sure.

Focus on reading my own books - Yeah, I'm not doing so great here.  My own books just aren't calling me like all the bright and shiny new books.  

Read more nonfiction -Big nope.  I can't even remember the last nonfiction book I read.

Participate in at least one readathon -  Not even close.



3rd Quarter Stats


Books Read So Far This Year: 108

Disappointments: None.  I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've read this quarter.

Books I Loved:  Written in Red by Anne Bishop, The Christmas Wishing Tree by Emily March

How is your reading going so far this year?

11 comments:

  1. Using a colouring book while listening to an audio book sounds like a good plan! I have sympathy for the hard work you'll need to gain your library but a shelf at a time and you'll soon see the progress! Think how great it will look when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find nearly as many indie bookstores these days, but I think it's because I haven't been traveling as much! Or we vacation in the same places so we just revisit the indies that are there! I haven't read nonfiction in ages either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you’re doing great with your goals. I’ve pretty much given up on all mine. It’s late in the year, and I’m so far behind.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're doing great too. And no goal is set in stone, right? I'm pondering several aspects of my reading life. I think sometimes we have to do that, especially if we end up in rut or slump or just weary of certain things. Trying to think about how I want to perhaps 'change it up' and go in a little different direction for next year. It's a work in progress in my head. We'll see where I end up in actual life. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have done really well this year!! Especially with no disappointments in the third quarter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are doing well with your goals, Katherine, even if not meeting all of them. And you've had such a good reading year overall that I think it more than makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 108 books is already amazing! I usually reach about 110 per year, but won't this year, I'm just 46. It's been a crazy year, and also I started and DNFed a lot of books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you'll see so long as the book is nominated for a book award in 2018 you are okay, doesn't have to win it. I got caught by that so was happy when I saw it only had to be nominated. I have on half the books in the challenge read but am reading the translation one now. I love your idea for the keeping track of incoming books and ... turning a room into a library. I wish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember the last non-fiction book I have read...Hey you do what you can when you can you know. 200 books OMG, so not me. I think the most I have ever read in one year was 75 or 78. I have never reached the hundred mark. Wooo go you.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for reminding me that I need to update my Better World Books reading challenge and also see what else I need to read.📚

    108 books is fantastic! I think my all time highest was 114 for an entire year. 👍✨

    Dewey's 24 hour read-a-thon is coming up on October 20th, and there's a week-long anti bullying read-a-thon coming up in the middle of November. Maybe one of those would work for you. I know you like reading Middle Grade and there are a lot of anti bullying Middle Grades. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. You still have read a lot of books. I'm behind on my goal but oh well, that's life. Tornado is still young. I don't know if they have UTSA teams for that young. I want my kid to take private lessons this summer to refine her skills.

    ReplyDelete