Thursday, September 13, 2018

Books from the Backlog - The Madonnas of Leningrad

Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!  Today's book is The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean.

Blurb:  Bit by bit, the ravages of age are eroding Marina's grip on the everyday. And while the elderly Russian woman cannot hold on to fresh memories—the details of her grown children's lives, the approaching wedding of her grandchild—her distant past is preserved: vivid images that rise unbidden of her youth in war-torn Leningrad.

In the fall of 1941, the German army approached the outskirts of Leningrad, signaling the beginning of what would become a long and torturous siege. During the ensuing months, the city's inhabitants would brave starvation and the bitter cold, all while fending off the constant German onslaught. Marina, then a tour guide at the Hermitage Museum, along with other staff members, was instructed to take down the museum's priceless masterpieces for safekeeping, yet leave the frames hanging empty on the walls—a symbol of the artworks' eventual return. To hold on to sanity when the Luftwaffe's bombs began to fall, she burned to memory, brushstroke by brushstroke, these exquisite artworks: the nude figures of women, the angels, the serene Madonnas that had so shortly before gazed down upon her. She used them to furnish a "memory palace," a personal Hermitage in her mind to which she retreated to escape terror, hunger, and encroaching death. A refuge that would stay buried deep within her, until she needed it once more. . . . 

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  A friend recommended this one to me years and years ago and her recommendations were always enormous hits or total failures.  I'm fascinated by Russian history and the blurb of this book sounds like it could be amazing - or terribly hopelessly depressing.

7 comments:

  1. I read this one with a book group way back - several years ago now. I think it went over pretty well, but I really can't remember all that much about it honestly. I must have liked it or I wouldn't have finished it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of this one. Let me know if you like it. I just finished The Dream Daughter by Diane Chamberlain and it was good. Another Netgalley winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is new to me but I am intrigued. I tend to like books set during WWII and the art aspect is interesting. I can't wait to see what you think when you do get the chance to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see what you mean! With a blurb like that, it's likely to be absolutely fabulous or desperately depressing... Fingers crossed it's the latter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it turns out amazing rather than depressing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my shelf to read as well. One of these days we will read it and hopefully love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't go for wartime Historical Fiction, but this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete