Saturday, January 20, 2018

Dial M for Mousse - Cozy Mystery Review


Rating: I Liked It!
Source: Publisher

Description:  
The Emergency Dessert Squad business is booming, with owner and baker Winnie Johnson working overtime to satisfy the emergency cravings of Silver Lake, Ohio. Her latest order, a plate of motivational desserts for an artists' retreat, is just what she needs to keep her mind off her own relationship woes.
But Winnie's problems seem like trifles when she discovers the body of retreat owner Sally Dearfield mere inches away from five oh-so-eccentric and viable suspects. Now, this baking detective must uncover the inspiration behind Sally's murder before another creative genius is iced.

Genre: Mystery - Cozy

Why I Picked This Book:
  How cool is the idea of an Emergency Dessert service?  There are so many times I could use one.  There was no way I could resist this book.

My Impression:
  This was such a fun take on the classic "locked room" murder mystery.  There are five suspects and one of them has to be the killer but how could one be the killer without everyone being in on it?  Add in the fact that none of the five suspects is in a particularly talkative mood and Winnie has quite the tangle of a mystery!

This was my first visit to Silver Lake Ohio and the Emergency Dessert Squad but it was a fun one!  It took me a couple of pages to get who was who figured out but once I got that sorted I had no issues keeping track of all the whos, whats, and whys of the series.  The concept of the Emergency Dessert Squad is so fun!  I mean I can't think of anything better when I'm sick or stressed or just out of sorts than to have a personalized dessert delivered right to my door.  This needs to be an option!  Winnie and her friends are a lot of fun.  I loved Bridget's investigating abilities and Renee and Mr. Nelson's humor.   Winnie's boyfriend, Jay, is away for most of the book but I did like their relationship and I enjoyed Winnie's inner monologue about their relationship status.  It felt very realistic.

There's a lot going on in this book and while the investigation isn't always front and center it's such an enjoyable read that it never felt like the pacing was off or that the plot was convoluted.  It was something a day in the life of Winnie and her friends and now all of it was mystery focused.

This was an incredibly entertaining read filled with delicious sweets and all kinds of fantastic cozy style puns.  I'm looking forward to going back and reading the previous 2 books in the series while I wait for book #4!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series and any of the author's other series.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you like cozies this is a really fun series!  I had no problem jumping in with this book.

11 comments:

  1. I grew up in Ohio and lived 2 hours from Silver Lake. I think I'd like this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've had some fun looking cozies this week! THis one looks good too. One thing I like about cozies is all the different locations they take place- it's almost like traveling the country, in a way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another series I've been wanting to read. It sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An emergency dessert service does sound like a great idea. This sounds like a good read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just received the audiobook for this. It's good to hear you enjoyed it. I love mixing food with a mystery lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need an emergency dessert service! I would be ordering an emergency dessert right about now. This sounds like a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me want to read this one! I definitely could use an emergency dessert squad. LOL This sounds like a great cozy. I will add this one to my wish list right away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reviewed the first book in the series a couple of weeks ago. It was cute. Like you said, the mystery isn’t really front and center, not in book 1 either, but I adored the characters and I do have Dial M for Mousse in the queue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Entertaining and mouth watering fare - perfect recipe with some mystery and fun characters. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like fun, and I love the idea of an emergency dessert service. (Except, alas, I am cutting way back on sugar...) Also like the title, though I keep trying to read it as "Dial M for Mouse." Which might also be fun, come to think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Yes! That's something we all need. Minus the murder, of course ;)

    ReplyDelete