Sunday, July 23, 2017

This Week in Reading - July 23


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:

Flat Broke with Two Goats by Jennifer McGaha - I just couldn't resist the title!  This memoir about a couple in financial disaster who end up in a 100 year old mice infested snake ridden cabin sounded interesting.  (NetGalley)

The Playboy Prince and the Nanny by Donna Alward - It's been awhile since I read a romance with royalty and I love Donna Alward so this sounded like a fun light read I couldn't resist.  (Publisher)

Trace by Archer Mayor - I used to love this very un-cozy mystery series about a detective in Vermont so I'm really looking forward to continuing it. (NetGalley)

The Witches' Tree by M.C. Beaton - I can't resist an Agatha Raisin book so of course I had to request this one!  (NetGalley)

Need You Now by Emma Douglas - The daughter of a rock star, a famous tennis player looking to retire, and a music festival sounded like a fun read.  (Publisher)

Currently:

Reading:  Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and Dark Rites by Heather Graham

Listening:  Podcasts - especially The Vanished and Again With This but looking to starting an audio book in the next week or two.  I have a pretty long wish list so it'll depend what's available at the library.

Watching:  I watched several movies with my Grandfather while I was visiting them.  We watched several silent movies which were really fun.  I don't think I've ever seen a whole silent film so I'm glad I did.  Hot Water with Harold Lloyd was my favorite I think.

Off the Blog:

I had a great visit with my grandparents this week.  The Tornado had a great time too and our trip coincided with a visit from my Aunt who lives in Pennsylvania which was a nice treat.  I'm glad to be home and getting to sleep in my own bed though!

This is the Tornado's last week of summer as he will start school the week after.  We've had a good summer but wow it went by fast!  We found out the name of his teacher and I'm very excited.  If I could have picked a teacher for him it would have been this one so I'm hoping for a great year.

This week will be all about catching up on pretty much all fronts - home, blog, and reading - and getting in some last minute relaxing.  I'm not looking forward to getting back to early morning wakeups!

On the Blog:

What Happened:

What's Coming Up:

Monday:  Howards End is on the Landing - Bookish Nonfiction Review
Tuesday:  TBD
Wednesday:  TBD
Thursday:  TBD
Friday:  Friday Linkups with Current Book
Saturday:  52 Pins in 52 Weeks - July Edition

Have a great week and happy reading!

21 comments:

  1. Flat broke with Two Goats- that is a pretty good title! Glad you had a nice visit- and it is always nice to get home too. And school again! Summer is really flying by!

    Hope you have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a nice haul. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a nice trip!! Wow school starts so soon. We have until September. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flat Broke sounds like my kind of story. I used to read lots of books about people who move-and-start-over. They almost always ended disastrously.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/07/what-heck-down-to-last-few-weeks-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a funny title, I may need to check that one out. Oooo, Agatha Rasin is a fav of mine, that's entertaining sleuthing. I'm glad your visit with your grandparent so well. Sounds like you had fun but need to catch up on rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the first Agatha Rasin and wow, didn't know there was so many! I have watched the show on Acorn TV and love it so I really want to start this series. :)

    I am glad you had a great time with your grandparents!
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flat Broke with Two Goats sounds so interesting! I just added it to my to-read list.
    I can't believe that school starts so soon for some schools! This summer really has flashed by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had a nice time with family. Enjoy your new books and happy reading.

    Jenea's Book Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had a nice time with your family! I can't believe your son goes back to school so soon. I think this summer has flown by as well. Glad he got the teacher you wanted him to have. As a teacher, I know how important that is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The name of Flat Broke With Two Goats does sound really intriguing :D I will agree to that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely you are to your grandparents. And a silent film? That sounds interesting to watch. Wow, school already? Does he attend a year round school or is this preschool? I must visit with Agatha Raisin again. She was a crotchety riot. The nanny one sounds fun; I like it when kids are part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Flat Broke with Two Goats looks like a fun read...not so much fun to live it, though. Mice-infested with snakes? I won't mind keeping that scenario at a distance, safely in a book.

    Enjoy your reading...I also like the look of Need You Now.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought Need You Now looked promising although I passed on it, trying to keep review books down. Not that successful! I am not sure I could go a whole silent movie, but I guess once the concentration was switched on I'd get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter will be starting high school in two weeks, but she's been on summer vacation since end of May. Summer flew by too fast lol. It's good to hear you had a nice trip but I always can't wait to come home to sleep in my bed too. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know, I don't think I've ever seen a silent film either? I think I need to put that on a bucket list! I'm so glad y'all had a nice time with the family :)

    Already back to school? Wow - I don't go back till the 16th of August and then the kids come back the 28th. When did summer break begin? I'm glad you got the teacher you wanted for him, hopefully that means he's in for a great year :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Starting school in two weeks? I don't go back until then, and we start a week later. The end of summer is here! I'm not ready for early mornings, either. It will be hard to get back into routine (although my doctor says I don't have one, and she's kinda right). I want to start waking up earlier to do some morning reading/blogging and actually make/eat breakfast, but I don't know how well that will work out. So glad you enjoyed the visit with your grandfather. What timing that your aunt was able to be there as well! I also have to start catching up on all fronts, too. I need to sit down and make a list so I can get everything done and don't waste time trying to think if I've done everything. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's crazy how fast summer went. School here has already started back like a week ago, I believe. Unreal.

    Glad yall had a fun trip and got home safely. Eee on the Agatha Raisin! I'm looking forward to getting the whole series from my mom next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the title of the memoir and look forward to your thoughts about it! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely to hear that you had a wonderful family visit:). I'm delighted you are pleased with the Tornado's teacher - at this stage it is so important the right teacher is there for a child... I still haven't finished teaching the summer term - my last session is tomorrow so it's odd to hear folks talking about the end of the summer already. I hope you enjoy the last week:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you watched the silent movies with your grandfather! Yay for getting the right teacher. Here's to another great year at school for the Tornado. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad you had a nice visit with your grandparents. What a wonderful bonus that you aunt was there at the same time. I can't believe how early school starts anymore. My daughter has just a couple of weeks left. Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete