Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Ten Books On My Keeper Shelf

In the book I talked about yesterday - Howards End is on the Landing - Susan Hill makes a list of 40 essential books from among her shelves.  This got me thinking.  I love to reread though I'm not able to fit it in as often as I'd like but I haven't really given much thought to my essential books.  What books could I reread over and over?  What books have earned their place on my Keeper Shelf?  Here's 10 that I think have a permanent place on mine!

1.  Gone Away Lake by Elizabeth Enright - Words cannot describe how much I love this book and this author.  Her stories are just so fun full of adventure and kids I would have wanted to be friends with as a kid.  This book involves a lake community that's all abandoned except for one house and there is much adventure and just lots of fun.

2.  Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie - It's hard not to make this entire list Agatha Christie but I stayed strong and resisted though of course I had to add 1 (okay maybe 2) titles to the list.  This one is probably my absolute favorite.  While it was one of her last books published she actually wrote it during WWII and put it away for later use.  The mystery is an old one and how it comes to light is pretty fascinating.  Plus, it's really Jane Marple at her best.

3.  The Case of William Smith by Patricia Wentworth - Wentworth is a classic mystery author that I really think deserves a lot more attention.  This book is one of my favorites.  There's a soldier with amnesia, a little bit of romance, and quite a lot of mystery though it's low on the murder scale.  Miss Silver makes an appearance but isn't a major character but we see plenty of DI Abbott which makes up for it.

4.  The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery - This is one of my favorite Montgomery books and one I can read over and over.  When we first meet Valancey she's so unhappy and just adrift and it's such fun to watch her decide to do what she wants for once.

5.  The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom - This is much deeper and darker than the rest of the books on this list but it's one I try to reread every few years.  This memoir of ten Boom's experience in a concentration camp is a challenging read but is also everything good in humanity against the worst.  It puts things in perspective for me and makes me remember to appreciate the small things.

6.  The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn - My favorite of the Bridgerton series.  Anthony and Kate are just so perfect together even though they don't know it at first and I love the relationship between Kate and Edwina.

7.  The Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas - This is my favorite book by Kleypas and one of the few books that I've really believed a villain was redeemed.  Plus Evie and Sebastian are just adorable together.

8.  The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin - While this one wasn't one of those books that really pulled me in and carried me away it did remind me of some very important lessons.  It's so easy to get caught up in day to day stuff that I forget to do things that make me happy or that I enjoy and when I'm happy I have more to give to those around me.

9.  The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn - I really enjoyed this book and how inspiring it was to really get back to the fundamentals of cooking.  The recipes included are absolutely amazing as well!  Her Alfredo sauce and chocolate frosting recipes are both must haves.

10. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie - I had to include another Agatha Christie and it was so tough picking just one.  I finally went with this one.  I do love it but what really earned this title its place on the list is the intricate plot and amazing detail.  I think I notice something new every time I read it.

What books have earned a book on your Keeper Shelf?

11 comments:

  1. I love The Viscount Who Loved Me, too! It's right up there with Romancing Mister Bridgerton. I think I love Romancing a little more - mainly because Penelope just stole my heart completely. But that Pall Mall scene is iconic!!!

    And I agree, I think Devil in Winter was fantastic and redeeming the villain/hero. I would also have to include a number of Julie Garwood books. The Secret, and Saving Grace for sure. Oh, and definitely Castles and Ransom and The Wedding. Better just keep almost all of Garwood's historicals, actually. :)

    I've never read The Blue Castle, but you have me intrigued. When I was very young my parents got me a whole set of Avonlea books. I think there were 8, and I remember that cover. I never read it though. I read Anne of Green Gables, but that was it. I should look more into her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cool idea for a post! I really need to try more Agatha Christie...I think I've only tried one and just couldn't get into it.
    Also, The Kitchen Counter Cooking School looks interesting! I'll have to put that on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list. I haven't read any of them. I never re-read books anymore. Not enough hours in the day :) I really should, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic. I sort of have an unofficial goal to try Christie again at some point, and while I'm leaning towards death on the Nile (the Egypt setting just sounds fab)I have to say Orient Express has me curious too, just for being such a classic. Plus a train. :)

    The Sleeping Murder I'm not familiar with but maybe I'd like Marple more than Poirot? At least I have lots of choices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read some Agatha Christie. My mom and grandparents always read them when I was growing up and just love them. They'd totally be with you on needing more than one of hers on their list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I haven't read that Montgomery book but once I get through her Anne books I intend reading her others so will keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of your 10 keeper books, Katherine. It would be very difficult to choose just ten books...lol. I think you did a great job. There are a few books I haven't read and I don't reread books very often, but I do have favorite books. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know that I could pick just 10. Maybe I could narrow it down to 10 different series? Lisa Kleypas would be an author I would want to see on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Murder on the Orient Express would make my list too! That and And Then There Were None are my favorites of hers (so far). I think Outlander, Bloody Jack, and Land of a Hundred Wonders would also make my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list, Agatha Christie is a definite keeper especially Miss Marple I love her mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list! My favorite Agatha Christie is And Then There Were None!

    Crystal Book Snob

    ReplyDelete