Monday, May 4, 2015

Summer on Lovers' Island - Review

Summer on Lover's Island by Donna Alward

Rating: 4.5 Stars
Source: Publisher
Description:  Lizzie Howard's life has always been adrenaline charged.  Top of her class at Harvard Med and now a gifted trauma doctor, Lizzie's medical career has always come before rest, relaxation, and especially romance.  But when one careless mistake brings her future to a screeching halt, Lizzie's only chance at reviving it is to temporarily take over a friend's practice in Jewell Cove.  The sleepy Maine coast, a world away from the bustling emergency room Lizzie knows and loves, leaves her feeling more lost than ever - until she meets widowed doctor Joshua Collins and her heart starts beating a little bit faster... (from Amazon.com)

Genre: Romance

Why I Picked This Book: I absolutely loved her book The House on Blackberry Hill so I couldn't resist this one when the publisher offered it to me.

My Impression:  It felt lovely to be back in Jewell Cove!  It's just as beautiful and welcoming as I remember from my last trip in The House on Blackberry Hill.  The Collins family is center stage in this one and they are wonderfully meddling without being over the top or too perfect.
One of my favorite story lines involve people who have had a rough time of it being able to emotionally start over and find happiness and both Lizzie and Josh definitely qualify for this one.  I loved them both though I think I identified more with Lizzie's perfectionism and high standards for herself.  It was just nice watching her start to breathe and relax a bit and come to terms with some of the trauma that has surrounded her lately.  I did get impatient with them both a little but it was mostly because they were so obviously perfect for each other and they really should just realize it and be happy!  Watching them both break out of their shells and come to terms with what they actually want is lovely, even though I wanted to reach into the book and shake them at times ,and made for an incredibly satisfying ending.  While this isn't heavy reading the issues that Josh and Lizzie are dealing with are weighty and I found Lizzie's struggle with her mother who is dealing with Alzheimer's particularly poignant.

While I hadn't read the 2nd book or the novella I am glad I read Blackberry Hill before this as it explained a lot of Josh's back story particularly in regards to Tom.  So while this isn't a series that necessarily needs to be read in order I do recommend reading the Blackberry Hill before picking this one up.  Plus, that one has another of my favorite story lines - family secrets and restoring old houses.

If you're looking for a contemporary romance series that has a fantastic setting and a wonderful group of side characters, you can't go wrong with Donna Alward's Jewell Cove series and Summer on Lover's Island is a fantastic addition to the series.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Absolutely!  Dare I hope Summer has a book coming up?  I'm also looking forward to going back and reading Jess's story and Charlie's story.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes!  This is such a fun contemporary series.  I love that it's a good mix of serious and fun.

Challenges Met?

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very appealing summer weekend read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I am soooo putting this and The House on Blackberry Hill on my TBR. I am seriously into contmeporary romance right now. Or just romance in general! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love loved this, My review posts tomorrow and I notice we thought similarly about reading Tom's story. Summer has to be next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. Is she a series I can read as Stand alones are do I need to read The house on BlackBerry hill first?

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love that feeling when you find a town/community like that and it just feels kinda like a snuggly comforting fit. I'll have to give her a go at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. This sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good summer read! I love reading sequels that bring you back to the setting and characters you loved so much with an earlier book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good series for vacation reading - the Maine coast, the warm fuzzies, and characters you can relate to. I'll keep an eye out for this author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make this sound so good, Katherine. I want to read it! I like it when characters are struggling emotionally too. It makes the happy ending even more sweeter and worthwhile in books like this. I look forward to reading this one--but I'll start with The House on Blackberry Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sold! On to Goodreads it goes!
    Again, love me some quite seaside town. I'm definitely looking for more adult romances. I'll definitely be finding The House on Blackberry Hill and getting to it this summer. :D
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when I identify with the main characters as I find I just get caught up in the book. The setting sounds fun and it sounds like a perfect book to read while sitting out in the sun :)

    ReplyDelete