Saturday, May 30, 2015

Get Your Bake On - Cookbook Review

Get Your Bake On: Sweet and Savory Recipes From My Home to Yours by Brian Emmett

So before I start this review I need to clear the air and admit I was firmly Team Darlene when this show was on.  But even though Brian wasn't the one I wanted to win I didn't hesitate when it came to requesting this cookbook.  I wanted to see what he could do and that lemon meringue pie on the cover looks delicious and I have a weakness for lemon meringue.

This book starts with the usual reference guide regarding needed materials, ingredients and measurements.  It explained enough about folding ingredients, whipping egg whites and other basics to be helpful without being complicated.  The recipes are broken up into 7 chapters ranging from the basics - pies, cookies and cakes - and getting a bit more ambitious with pastry dough, biscotti, souffles, and custards.  Before each recipe is a paragraph about where the recipe came from and if there is any tie into Brian's time on The Great American Bake-off.

In terms of usability there were a number of recipes that intrigued me - Key Lime Pie, Savory Bacon, Cheddar, and Chive Scones, Banana Tea Bread, Salted Peanut Butter Cookies and a few different kinds of cheesecakes.  The ingredient list was nothing overly fancy (though several do call for vanilla beans which are freakishly expensive but easy to find) and the ingredients are clear and concise.  There's also a pretty good helping of savory dishes which is unusual for a baking book.  There are several types of savory pies (onion, chicken pot pie) as well as foccaccia and recipes for both New York and Chicago style pizza.

I did have a few issues with this that were on the strictly personal front.  A number of his bread recipes call for a sourdough starter.  He includes the recipe for that and it really isn't that complicated but if I'm being honest that extra step will probably keep me from trying it for awhile.  While there are a number of recipes that look tempting this isn't really an everyday book for me.  In general the recipes given run more towards Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Tartlets, Croissants, and Mini Pavlovas with White Chocolate Coated Popcorn.  These all sound yummy but more something I would make for an event versus a Tuesday.  There will be both Key Lime Pie and Lemon Meringue on my July 4th table though!

I'm linking up with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads

13 comments:

  1. I will admit that the cover is definitely appealing. And I don't even like lemon meringue pie all that much. And I never make meringue. But...key lime pie. Well, that is a little bite of heaven. This would likely be a cookbook that I would look at more than use on a regular basis. Because, yes, we are trying to cut back on the sweets. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were on a quest to become Key Lime Pie connoisseurs while in Florida lash winter (still trying to lose the evidence!) and would love to try his take on it, too. Gorgeous cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm some of those sound good. I'm like you though that extra step on the breads would probably have me hesitating. I have one like that that I want to try now but it just...I can't seem to make myself start it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had Lemon Meringue pie in years, but that cover makes me want some. They all sound good but the Raspberry and Dark Chocolate Tartlets is the one that grabbed my attention right away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your candid review. I love lemon meringue pie too :). Some of the recipes sound tempting, but like you I wouldn't be tempted to try the sourdough starter. Will look for this one at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is gorgeous. I love a lemon meringue pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum - bacon cheddar scones sound delicious! I'm not a baker, so wouldn't have this one in my house, but do like to eat others' baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not one for me - not a baker. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have such fond memories of making Lemon Meringue Pie with my great-aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those scones sound delicious. And banana tea bread. Mmmm...Love anything with banana.
    Unfortunately I do not like key lime or lemon. :(
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had Key Lime Pie just the other night---it was a frozen dessert tho. I bet homemade would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love lemon meringue Pie too, seems like this cookbook includes fairly standard recipes though.

    Happy cooking
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lemon meringue is my favorite! (well, maybe sour cherry ties) Sounds like a good book to have on hand for weekend cooking rather than weekday

    ReplyDelete