Wednesday, April 17, 2024

What I'm Reading Wednesday - April 17

 I always have a few books going and this is what I'm reading this week and what I think of my reads.

My Slow Read:
I started doing a slow read after being inspired by Kathryn over at The Book Date and I've been really enjoying it.


The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biograpy of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukharjee
- This is a chunk of a book but incredibly fascinating.  I'm reading about 20 minutes a day and it is just the right amount.  There's a big focus on childhood cancers - especially leukemia which does hit very close to home for me but it's been so informative.

My Print Book:


Blood Red by Wendy Corsi Staub - I was expecting a fairly fast paced romantic suspense candy bar of a book but while it is definitely suspenseful it's much more of a slow build exploring some more complicated issues.  So far I'm enjoying it and it has proven to be a pleasent surprise.

My Ebook:


Murder in Rose Hill by Victoria Thompson
- I'm almost done with this latest book in the historic mysery series set in early 1900s New York.  I'm really enjoying it and the stuff on patent medicines are both interesting and terrifying.  I don't know who the bad guy is yet but I'm looking forward to finding out.

My Audio Book:


Tom Lake by Ann Patchett - This is my first book by Ann Patchett and so far I'm really enjoying it.  It's a slower story but I've been pulled in from the start and the fact that Meryl Streep narrates the audio does not hurt!


What are you reading right now?

6 comments:

  1. I've not read any you mentioned. I did very much enjoy The Dutch House and Bel Canto by Patchett but not Tom Lake. I am in the minority on liking Tom Lake though, everyone else loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Emperor of All Maladies has been on my to read list for years, but is an intimidating book. Reading 20 minutes a day would make it seem more manageable - great idea. I loved Tom Lake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading Thompson's Murder in Rose Hill. Blood Red is one I'd probably like, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Victoria Thompson books and I'm also reading that one now. I plan to read Wendy Corsi Staub sometime. I own one of her books at least.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. A slow and steady read of about 20 minutes is great, especially for tougher books, although I have a light one going at present. Hmm Meryl Streep for an audiobook, that would be a pleasure for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look good, especially the Wendy Corsi Staub book.

    ReplyDelete