Monday, October 11, 2021

The Year of the Series - The Christie Caper + A Whisker of Trouble



After the calamity that was 2020 I didn't want to give myself serious reading goals but I did want to do something to help my book stacks get a little more under control.  I've tried getting rid of the ones I want to read but unfortunately I want to read all the books I own.  So I decided to focus on series.  There are so many I have that I abandoned halfway through or came in halfway and never read the first few.  I made a list of ten series and the next book I had to read in them and will be rolling in new books and series as I go along and catch up.  Here are two reviews from that list that I've read recently.


Goodreads:  The Christie Curse (A Book Collector Mystery #1) by Victoria Abbott

My Thoughts:  I've had this series about a book collector searching for books connected to classic mystery authors for ages but somehow never picked up.  I'm so glad I finally did!  This was such fun!  Jordan Bingham is an interesting lead.  She's determined and resourceful and thanks to her uncles has some interesting connections to the not so legal way of doing things.  I really liked the side characters - especially Jordan's uncles.  Vera Van Alt is an interesting character.  To call her prickly is a massive understatement and I'm curious to see how her personality develops as the books go on.  There wasn't as much Christie mentions as I would like because Jordan is having to learn all about her as the book goes on.  I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading more of the series.  My Rating:  Really Liked It


Goodreads:  A Whisker of Trouble (Second Chance Cat Mystery #3) by Sofie Ryan

My Thoughts:  There's not much that I can say about this book that I haven't already said about this series.  I really love it.  I love the characters - especially Charlotte's Angels.  I love Elvis.  I love Sarah's store and just seeing the whole crew together.  I really enjoyed this mystery.  Sarah, Mac, and Elvis stumble over a body at a house they've been hired to clear out.  This plunges them into an investigation ranging from murder to defrauding senior citizens.  Nick and Michelle (ie the official law enforcement) are very much side characters as they're pursuing other lines of investigation so the Angels are up front and center which as always makes for a fun ride.  I only have one more book before I'm fully caught up on this series and I'm going to be so sad to have to wait until Ryan published the next book.  My Rating:  Really Liked It!

4 comments:

  1. Two series I have on my list to catch up with. They both look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these sound really good. I know that it feels good to get two books off your tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one sounds good and I have read one in the Sofie Ryan books and I liked that so good to know its still going strong for you.

    ReplyDelete