Saturday, October 23, 2021

Eternity Ring - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads: Eternity Ring (Miss Silver #14) by Patricia Wentworth

Rating: Really Liked It!
Source:   Purchased
 
Description:  Mary Stokes discovers a dead body in Dead Man's Copse one evening but when she returns with a police officer it is no longer there. Miss Silver is baffled by this event and is determined to get to the bottom of it.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm reading all the Miss Silver books this year and this was the next one in order.

My Impression: This one is a bit unusual.  Frank Abbott is involved right from the beginning but there's not a body for quite sometime.  Miss Silver is also involved early on but more as a sounding board for Abbott and is there at his invitation.  While she does point Abbott in the right place quite a few times her role is decidedly inactive and she really doesn't have much page time.

The mystery is a bit more intense then some of the previous mysteries.  There's a bit of danger and even a bit of blood.  Not enough of either to take it out of cozy genre but a bit different from Wentworth's other books.  I really liked getting to know some of Frank's relatives and getting a bit more background on him.  I adored Monica Abbott and her interaction with Miss Silver.  She's such a nice practical woman and doesn't hesitate to speak her mind but in a tactul way.

This is a bit longer then most Miss Silver mysteries at a little over 350 pages but I flew through it and finished it in just two sittings.  While the pace is a bit faster then other Miss Silver books and the mystery is intriguing I'm not sure it's the best example of a "typical" Wentworth Miss Silver book.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? Of course!  Wentworth is a favorite author and I can't wait to read the next Miss Silver book.

Would I Recommend this Book? I would as it is a solid and entertaining mystery but if you're looking to get to know Miss Silver and her methods this one might not be the book for you.

2 comments:

  1. I love when you fly through a book! This looks good. I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of this one looks more than a cosy but good that it was still in the field. I love how the characters are portrayed. Even if I never get to read the books I feel I am seeing Miss Silver from afar.

    ReplyDelete