Friday, October 4, 2019

Friday Fives - October TBR

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  Since this is the first Friday in October I'm thinking about 5 books to read this month and since it's the month of Halloween I'm wanting just a touch creepy. 


1.  We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - I'm a fan of Shirley Jackson and have read pretty much everything she's ever written.  Up until about a year ago I was convinced I had read this one but I most definitely haven't.  I'm hoping to fix that now!


2.  Ammie,  Come Home by Barbara Michaels - Michaels is the perfect mix of comfort and creepy and though I've read this book tons of time it's always fun.


3.  The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - This has been on my classics list for ages and I've been wanting to watch the classic movie adaptation but I want to read it first. 


4.  The Summoning by Heather Graham - Heather Graham is my perfect level of creepy.  There's a bit of ghost, a bit of action, and a bit of romance but it doesn't slide so far into creepy that I feel like I need to check the locks or can't sleep.


5.  Hunting Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco - I've had this on my TBR for years and I picked up the audio when it was on sale and still haven't managed to listen to it but I think this October will be the time to finally get around to it.

What are you planning on reading this October?

8 comments:

  1. AMMIE COME HOME is an old favorite of mine and it's been way too long since I reread it. Maybe soon. I'll be interested in hearing what you think about WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE, Katherine. Pretty weird. Our mystery group had a great discussion of Shirley Jackson books the other night. Such an interesting life she had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of that Stalking Jack the Ripper and need to check that one out. My TBR pile is already massive, then I keep adding on all the new releases, and it's just getting crazy!(lol) Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read STALKING JACK THE RIPPER (which was okay), but this does look like a spooky line up! Enjoy your scary books :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah creepy books! I don't read too much creepy, some suspense novels are creepy enough. But I admire those who enjoy creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Summoning will appear in my upcoming TBR Poll this weekend. :-) It does sound good. I seem to be on a ghost reading run right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stalking Jack the Ripper looks perfect for October!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't a fan of Dorian Gray but don't go by my opinion as I don't like the style of the classics in general!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You need to block that Vino Alexander character. Ha ha. 😜

    ReplyDelete