Friday, June 7, 2019

Friday Fives - June Reads

I'm taking a bit of a break from my usual Friday Linkups to try something a little different.  Michelle over at Because Reading is Better Than Real Life   used to do a Five on Fridays that I always enjoyed and I've seen a few other variations on the theme.  As well I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd give start making random five lists.  Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much.  Since this is the first Friday in June I'm listing 5 books I hope to read this month.  I've been picking a theme for each month and pulling books from my TBR shelves that fit the theme in some way.  The theme for June is family because with school being out I'm getting a lot more family time!


1.  Mrs. Miniver by Jan Struther - One of my all time favorite movies is based off this book though apparently the book focuses more on the Miniver family itself while the movie is more about the family during wartime.  It sounds like a nice soothing kind of read. 


2.  Life Among the Savages by Shirley Jackson - Shirley Jackson is best known for her eerie and atmospheric stories but this more memoir type of nonfiction is a 180 from that and focuses on her own family life when her children were young.


3.  The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle by Laura DiSilverio - It wouldn't be a cozy mystery series without at least one book pulling in a family member of the main character and in this case it's the brother.  Plus, this one involves a Hercule Poirot book and I really want to read it!


4.  The Day of the Storm by Rosamunde Pilcher - These shorter novels aren't as good as Pilcher's longer sagas but they are a lot of fun and this is all about a woman discovering a family she didn't even know she had.


5.  The Lonesome Road by Patricia Wentworth - I love Patricia Wentworth and this is a mystery about a woman who inherited her father's estate and has to rewrite her will once a year.  This of course causes issues with her family and now it appears that one of them may be out to kill her.

What do you want to read in June?

8 comments:

  1. Most of these are new to me, I can't remember if I have read A Day of the Storm or not, I must check if I have it on the shelf. Enjoy as many as you get to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you post everyday. I have been such a slacker lately! You are inspiring.

    So, you can't go wrong with Rosamunde Pilcher! Love her books and Shell Seekers and Coming Home are still some of my all time favorites.
    Haven't read Patricia Hightower yet but I want to. She's on my short list. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of these. I do enjoy books involving families. The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle especially sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Readaholics and the poirot Puzzle looks fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am most curious about Life Among the Savages. I love her brand of horror, but imagine this will be colorful in its own unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to read Life Among the Savages for a long time. Thanks for reminding me about it! 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pre-ordered THE SPIES OF SHILLING LANE by Jennifer Ryan and it just arrived. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Readaholics series looks like a fun one. I can't remember if I've read any of Rosamunde Pilcher before; her name certainly sounds familiar.

    ReplyDelete