Sunday, May 18, 2014

Sunday Showcase and Post - What I Got and What I Read




















It's Sunday so I'm linking up with Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea to show off what books I got and kimbacaffeinate at Caffeinated Reviewer to talk about what's been going on this week!

NetGalley


The Phantom of Fifth Avenue by Meryl Gordon
This is the biography of Huguette Clark, the daughter of copper magnate William Andrews Clark.  It tracks her life from socialite to mysterious recluse.  Really looking forward to this one.

Day of Vengeance by Jeanne Dams
I've read some Jeanne Dams before years ago and always found them enjoyable cozy mysteries.  This involves American Dorothy Martin who lives in England with her retired policeman husband Alan Nesbitt.  Apparently someone decides it's time to start killing off clergyman.

The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick
The cover on this one is stunning and I've been in a historical fiction mood lately so this fictional account of Eleanor of Aquitaine definitely caught my eye.


How to Ruin a Queen by Johnathan Beckman
This is the story of Marie Antoinette and the famous diamond necklace affair.  Looking forward to learning more about the events that started the French Revolution

The Wizard of Oz FAQ by David J. Hogan
Eleanor is a huge Wizard of Oz fan and I thought this look at behind the scenes of the movie looked like a fun read.

Always on My Mind by Belle Andre
This is totally and completely the Kimberly at the Caffeinated Reader's fault!  After her review I couldn't pass up this contemporary romance.

Engaged at The Chatsfield by Melanie Milburne
I normally don't grab the Harlequin Presents titles but this one looked interesting and obviously I needed more books this week.

No River Too Wide by Emilie Richards
Richards is one of my favorite authors so I'm excited to try her newest series

Hotel by Arthur Hailey
I'm intrigued by this look into the workings of an upscale hotel and I've never read any Hailey before.

Other:


Amazon has been tempting me with this one for months with the subtitle - The Maniac, The Model, And The Murder That Shook The Nation.  How could I pass it up when it was a daily deal this week?

The House on Tradd Street by Karen White

This was recommended given my love of home renovations and old mysteries.  Can't wait to read it!


On the Blog this Week:

On of my favorite books this year: The Forgotten Seamstress
The Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down
The giant gaps in my reading education
One of my childhood favorites - The Four Story Mistake
MyIreland box review
Friday 56 and Book Beginnings about Bill Bryson's At Home
My Friday 5 - 5 thoughts and 5 pictures to wrap up the week
One of my favorite biographies ever with Louisa Catherine: The Other Mrs. Adams

Next Week:

Haven't been in the readingest mood this week due to being grumpy but I've got a review for a new cozy mystery series - The Garden Plot - coming up on Monday.
Tuesday will be my top ten books about friendship
On Wednesday I've got a review coming up about a Indian woman growing up in Kansas and trying to connect through food to both worlds.  

Thanks for visiting and happy reading!

14 comments:

  1. These are some great sounding books-love the cover of The Phantom of Fifth Avenue, I'll have to look into this one more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what grabbed my attention too! I'm hoping it'll be good.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your books! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some interesting stuff coming up this week. I think Hotel sounds good, and I'd forgotten about Arthur Hailey until I read your post. I've never read him but I know he wrote some well known books back in the day. The Marie Antoinette book could be interesting too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of felt the same about Hailey - one of those names I knew but had never read. I'm very interested to see how it turns out. I'm hoping the Marie Antoinette book is good.

      Delete
  4. The books all sound good, especially The Phantom of Fifth Avenue. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to reading them - especially The Phantom of Fifth Avenue. I don't know too much about her which always makes biographies more interesting!

      Delete
  5. Wow, you have a lot of titles this week! I thought about grabbing the Chatfield book. I hope you have a good week and enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah things got a little out of control :) Some weeks I recognize the fact I don't have huge quantities of free time to read - other weeks not so much! I'm hoping the Chatfield book is fun. I haven't read many of the Harlequin sries books but I was looking for a light fun read.

      Delete
  6. Lots of great books this week! Hope you enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to having a good reading session!

      Delete
  7. Awesome hauil this week! I'll have to check most of those out because I haven't heard of them before. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way on most people's showcases. They're always brutal to my TBR because I add at least 4 or 5 books a week just off of linkups!

      Delete