Source: Publisher
Description: As autumn settles over the charming hamlet of Ashland, Oregon, ushering in cool, crisp breezes and a stunning show of color, everyone at Torte is keeping warm by whipping up a bevy of fall treats and spicy lattes. Jules is nearing her due date, and the whole town is abuzz—placing bets on when the twins will make their grand debut. Helen and the team are working on a secret surprise baby shower, complete with cupcakes, cookies, and a feast fit for royalty, or maybe just a mother-to-be.
Meanwhile, Lance and Arlo are busy planning their nuptials in what is sure to be as close to a royal wedding as Ashland has ever seen. But when the high-end wedding planner they hired is found dead in the frigid waters of Ashland Creek, what looks like a tragic accident, a slip on an icy bridge, quickly reveals itself as something much more sinister. Jules knows at once—this was no mishap. A killer is loose in Ashland, and they may be ready to strike again.
Genre: Mystery - Cozy
Why I Picked This Book: I've been reading this series since the very beginning so of course I had to pick this one up.
My Impression: As usual, this was a fun read in a fantastic setting. I liked the fall setting but living in the South my whole life the idea of snow coming in fall blew my mind a bit. I did love all the talk of fall treats. The world of Torte has changed a bit as the series has developed and we have lost some characters but have gained a couple of more. I'm enjoying getting to know them and seeing what they add to Torte. Jules' pregnancy is coming to an end and there are definitely some changes in what she can do (and how long she can go without eating).
I loved how big of a role Lance had in this book and how so much of it centered around his and Arlo's wedding. I suspect in real life Lance could at times be a bit much but in fiction he's so fun. The mystery is a solid one with a victim that pretty much everyone wished dead. Jules and Lance's investigation was active and they touched base with the Professor a decent amount. I did love following along and I didn't guess who the bad guy was until pretty much the end.
This is a long running series and is probably best starting with an earlier book as there is a lot of character and relationship developing as the series goes along. As always, the food mentions were mouthwatering but as so much of it involved pumpkin I didn't want to eat everything mentioned which was a nice change.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I will. I've really enjoyed this series and other books I've read by this author.
Would I Recommend this Book? If you're a cozy mystery fan I'd definitely recommend this series though I would suggest starting with an earlier book. If you've been a fan of this series this one will not disappoint.
* I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As always my opinions and impressions are completely my own. *

We often get snow in October here in Utah. I even remember trick-or-treating in my snow boots and winter coat one year. And once they even cancelled school because we got so much. This cozy sounds like a cute one.
ReplyDelete