Monday, September 7, 2026

The Mystic and the Missing Girl - Mystery Review

Goodreads: The Mystic and the Missing Girl by Vikki VanSickle

Rating: Liked It! (3.5 Stars)
Source: Publisher

Description:
 Drew Benson has a secret. She gets visions, something she hasn’t tapped into since she was a teenager, when her late aunt, a TV psychic known as Hannah Mystic, became the scapegoat in the unsolved disappearance of a local teenager. Twenty years later, Drew is happy to ignore her gift, focusing instead on keeping the metaphysical shop she inherited from Hannah afloat, wrangling her sole, astrology-obsessed employee, and dodging local rake Foster Banks in her picturesque lakeside hometown.

But when Drew's arch-nemesis from high school, now a big city reporter, decides to investigate the cold case from all those years ago, it’s Drew’s ability that could finally make a break in the decades old mystery. With bills piling up, a disapproving mother laying on the guilt, and a local vandal who wants Drew and her witchy store gone, Drew has a lot to lose. But what she stands to gain—finding out what happened to the missing teen, clearing her aunt’s name, and a second chance at belonging—could change everything.

Genre: Mystery

Why I Picked This Book:
The blurb really caught my attention!  It sounded like an interesting read.

My Impression:  This was a fun mystery and an interesting start to what I hope is a series.  Drew has inherited her aunt Hannah's shop and a whole host of problems regarding a cold case that destroyed Hannah's reputation.  Drew is trying to figure out how to keep things going but is hesitant to really commit to her new life.  
The start is a bit slow.  There's a lot of backstory to explain with the characters, Drew's relationship with Hannah, Hannah's downfall, the shop, and the community itself.  However, once the current day story starts going I really enjoyed it and couldn't wait to see how everything unraveled.  I loved the side characters, especially Foster and Drew's best friend Gigi.  They added a lot of humor to the book and having Drew team up with an investigative reporter, Nick also really worked well. 
The mystery was interesting and I really enjoyed how they explored new leads while examining what the original investigation had dug up or left out.  The ending was well down and entertaining.  I liked how it wrapped up the story and added character growth to Hannah.  I'm hoping this becomes a series because this is a world I'd really like to revisit.  

Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I would!  I ended up really enjoying this one and am looking forward to reading more.

Would I Recommend this Book?  If you like mysteries this is a fun read though I would recommend being patient with the begining.

* I received this book in exchange for an honest review. As always my opinions and impressions are completely my own. *

No comments:

Post a Comment