Saturday, October 12, 2019

Blackberry Summer - Contemporary Romance Review

Goodreads:  Blackberry Summer (Hope's Crossing #1) by RaeAnne Thayne

Rating: Good
Source: Audible Escape Package

Description:  Claire Bradford needed a wake-up call.

What she didn't need was a tragic car accident. As a single mom and the owner of a successful bead shop, Claire leads a predictable life in Hope's Crossing, Colorado. So what if she has no time for romance? At least, that's what she tells herself, especially when her best friend's sexy younger brother comes back to town as the new chief of police.

But when the accident forces Claire to slow down and lean on others; especially Riley McKnight; she realizes, for the first time, that things need to change. And not just in her own life. The accident; and the string of robberies committed by teenagers that led up to it; is a wake-up call to the people of Hope's Crossing. The sense of community and togetherness had been lost during those tough years. But with a mysterious "Angel of Hope" working to inspire the town, Riley and Claire will find themselves opening up to love and other possibilities by the end of an extraordinary summer.

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:  I've really enjoyed Thayne's most recent series so I thought I'd give this earlier series a try.

My Impression:  I had seen this book mentioned a time or two on other blogs with less then glowing reviews which always surprised me a bit.  I absolutely love her Haven's Point series so I figured maybe the book didn't work for those particular readers which happens.  But after listening to this one I completely get it.  Honestly, if I wasn't already a big RaeAnne Thayne I'm not sure I would've gotten through the first half or so of this one without giving up on it.  It wasn't terrible but it's just a bit meh and there seems to be so much angst without much positive in that first half.  When I pick up a Thayne book I expect some tough issues but also a nice helping of warm and fuzzy to make up for it and this didn't quite deliver.

It did pick up in the 2nd half and I did end up enjoying this enough where the 2nd book is on my To Listen list.  I liked the two main characters and some of the townspeople are interesting and I was glad to see my favorites' names on the blurbs for other books in this series.  This was fine - it was entertaining and interesting enough to keep me listening but if it wasn't an author I was already a fan of I'm not sure I would have stuck around through the first half.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Absolutely though I will keep my expectations a bit lower for this earlier series.

Would I Recommend this Book?  I would definitely recommend this author but probably not this book.  It's okay but not a must read/listen.

4 comments:

  1. RaeAnne Thayne has been on my list of authors to read for a long time. I need to make time for one of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one I didn't like and it almost put me off RaeAnne Thayne, I think it was the first I ever read of hers. I am glad I gave her another shot with the Haven Point series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy this author, but haven't read many of her books. I would have picked this one for the cover alone...sorry it wasn't wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had given this book 3 stars; it wasn't too bad and was a really mild, modern romance.

    ReplyDelete