Monday, August 6, 2018

Set the Night on Fire - Contemporary Romance Review


Rating:  Good
Source: Publisher

Description:  
Ella Boudreaux has a lot to prove to her family, friends, and foes--and to herself. So when her marriage ends she decides to invest her energy and money into a place that brings back some of Ella's happiest memories: the Abbott brothers' garage. Maybe, if she puts her mind to it, she can teach skeptical, stubborn Mack Abbott how to make the business a true success. Which would be a lot easier if the hunky mechanic didn't make her motor run quite so fast...and hot.

Mack was furious when his brother, Ford, sold his share of the business. He's in no rush to team up with a wealthy divorcee who shows up to the garage in stilettos--and the longest, sexiest legs he's seen in forever. But Ella's grit and determination won't quit...and soon Mack can see that she's been down a few rough roads herself. Neither Mack nor Ella can deny the fierce attraction that's revving up between them. Could it be that true love has been in the backseat all along...and they've finally found the key?

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:
  I've been enjoying contemporary romance lately and this one sounded a bit different from the usual.  

My Impression:
  How have I not read this author before?  I really enjoyed the plot of this one and loved the characters.  It's always nice when an author avoids what could easily be a cliché and adds depth and "things aren't quite what they seem".  I was all set to not like Ella.  Her reasons for buying into the garage made sense - especially since she wasn't aware of the hostile takeover aspect.  It helps that she's smart and aware of her strengths and weaknesses even if she's a bit insecure.  The first meeting did lapse into silly a bit but this definitely wasn't a farce.

Mack is a tough guy who can be hard headed to the cutting off your nose to spite your face level but never to the point I got irritated with him.  Under it all he was such a sweetheart that that made it a bit better!  I liked Mack and Ella together even before they knew there was any "together" going on.

I really enjoyed that these characters were adults.  They have baggage that is real and they're both independent despite having family around.  I really enjoyed this romance and I really liked both the characters.  It had been a bit of a tough week and this made for a really lovely reading escape.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Definitely!  I can't believe I haven't read this author before but I'll be making up for it now.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you love contemporary romance I think you'll really enjoy this one.  Even though this is #6 in a series you can start here with no problem. 

8 comments:

  1. I do like contemp romance, and nice that you found another author to enjoy in this genre. And great we can start into the series and they stand alone by the look of it. Oh dear, sounds like a tense start to the buy into the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand about wanting to read books about adults. I mean, I love kids and YA books, but sometimes in romance (a genre that you know I adore) the characters can feel kind of young. I love the cover for this book, and yay that Mack wasn't a complete jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some challenging weeks lately so I'm glad to hear it helped you escape during a tough time. Adding this new to me author and book to my GR list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my list to read. I love the cover. I haven't read anything by this author yet, but it looks like a wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh! I'd been given the option to review a couple of the earlier ones but passed because they were a good way into the series but they looked so good. Well now I'll have to jump in anyways. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice change to read about characters who have been around the block at least once and know who they are and what they are getting into... First love is very sweet - but it is joyous to read about the adult version at times!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds sweet. I've been on a bit of a UF, PNR and Thriller/Mystery kick, but I will mark this author/series for when the mood hits :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read Laura Trentham before either. I like the sound of these characters though. I will have to put this one on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete