Monday, August 27, 2018

Maybe For You - Contemporary Romance


Rating: Very Good
Source: Publisher

Description:  
She’s never had a no-strings fling. He’s never had anything else. But maybe this time will be an exception?

After a year of mourning her fiancé, Alexis Parker has worked hard to rediscover what she wants out of life. Fresh out of the military and back stateside, her brother offers her a marketing job at the Stag Distillery. Ready for a new challenge, Alexis agrees to accompany her new co-worker Jake Cooperon a Stag cross-country promotional tour. He may have an infamous playboy reputation, but Alexis is surprised to find out that there is more to him than meets the eye. And she likes what she sees. . .

Jake promised Alexis’s brother that he’d be an absolute gentleman. Of course, that was before he and Alexis hit the road, and they both agree that what Alexis’s big brother doesn’t know won’t hurt him. The plan: to keep their fling confined to the RV, and everything will go back to normal once they head home. Things progress in ways neither of them could have imagined, and Jake realizes that he and Alexis make a perfect mix. Can he convince her that he’s ready to shake things up and give true love a shot?

Genre: Romance - Contemporary

Why I Picked This Book:
I loved the road trip feel to this one and I'm always looking for a god contemporary.  I also really liked a book in another series by this author earlier this summer.

My Impression:
  This is the second book by Nicole McLaughlin that I've read and the second that I've thoroughly enjoyed.  In the previous book I found the characters unique and interesting and this book was no exception but in a totally different way.  Both Alex and Jake have some complicated baggage.  Alex is still grieving the loss of her fiancĂ© a year earlier and trying to navigate a life completely different from the one she expected.  Jake has some pretty serious insecurities from childhood struggles with learning disabilities.  McLaughlin walked a fine line between making the baggage realistically complicated and messy without making it feel angsty and melodramatic.

The road trip vibe was really fun.  I really liked how the friendship between the two had grown up at the beginning of the book but the road trip really put the spotlight on them.  Not only did they have to sort through their own personal issues but they also had to deal with the bond they had and what it meant both in the moment and in their real life.

This is book 3 in the series but as with most romances there is no issue starting here.  I am anxious to go back and read the first two so I can get to know Dean, Charlotte, TJ, and Jen better.  I absolutely flew through this one and enjoyed getting to know Alex and Jake as well as the community at Stag Distillery.  This a great romance that's light but with heart and with characters you can't help but root for.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?
  Absolutely!  This is the 2nd book by this author that I really enjoyed and I'm looking forward to reading more of her books.

Would I Recommend this Book?
  If you enjoy contemporary romance than this is a must read author.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this. I haven't read this author before, but the cover is super pretty. Road trip romances are super fun aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fun and like one I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this author but this sounds really well done. I do like the set up for this story so I will have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this! I haven't read too many road trip romances. I am adding this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I have not come across this author but high recommendation from you makes it very inviting.

    ReplyDelete