Monday, April 2, 2018

Reviews from the Children's Section - I Capture the Castle

One of my favorite genres and one that is the easiest for me to push aside is middle grade fiction. This year to make sure I get a little more children's and young adult fiction I thought I would designate the first Monday of every month Middle Grade Monday.  While a lot of my picks this year are classics I am trying to branch out a little bit and read new or at least recent releases.  This month's book is one I've heard of but never really known much about.


This book is actually 6 months of diary entries written by 17 year old Cassandra Mortmain in 1934.  Cassandra lives with her family in the ruins of a castle as they take genteel poverty to whole new levels.

On the cover of my copy there's a quote from J.K. Rowling pronouncing Cassandra Mortmain the most charismatic narrator she's ever met.  Needless to say my hopes were high.  And it didn't take to long for them to be dashed.  Within about 10 pages almost all the characters were annoying me (except Topaz - I rather liked her) and I wanted to shriek at them.  Why?  They're in a terrible situation that is heading towards even worse and none of them feel particularly inclined to do anything about it.  James Mortmain wrote a brilliant book years and years ago and has yet to do anything sense then.  And I don't mean has yet to write another book.  I mean he's done absolutely nothing for years except read a handful of detective stories over and over again while his children go to bed hungry.  At one point he casually states "I don't know what will become of you girls" and I wanted to kick him.  As well the focus on marrying off Rose is so constant and so blatantly about money that I think it would have made Jane Austen's Mrs. Bennett blush.  

That said, while this book did make me rant-y there was quite a lot I enjoyed.  I'm not sure I agree with Rowling's assessment but I did find the writing style bright and entertaining which is something to be said given the high amount of dreariness that flows through the book.   Even when I wanted to scream at the characters I still wanted to keep reading and I did enjoy the reading experience.  As well I absolutely love the premise.  The idea of living in a ruined castle can't help but awaken the imagination.

I'm honestly not sure how this book would go over with children.  I can see girls in the preteen set enjoying the castle concept and identifying with Cassandra.  But at the same time the idea that marriage is the only way out of their poverty is so prevalent that I think it may feel incredibly dated.

While I didn't particularly love this book I did really enjoy the writing style and am looking forward to trying more books from Dodie Smith - especially The Hundred and One Dalmations

10 comments:

  1. I am not sure that this would be good for young girls due to the marriage as an escape from poverty aspect. Too bad that this was in this book. At least the writing style was good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to read this book for years!!!! I'm sorry that it didn't quite live up to your expectations. I definitely want to give this a try still, but I am going to try to not let my expectations get too high.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this one, but I've certainly been aware of it for a long time. I suspect the things you mentioned would be partially due to the time period in which this was written. I also suspect that 'The Hundred and One' probably is a little different than the Disney version. I don't know that for a fact though. I do understand that there is a movie of this book. Not sure how good it is, but it might be something to investigate.

    I went and looked and this book was written in 1948 when the author was living in California after the war. She was nostalgic for 'happier' times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely does sound like a mixed bag! Interesting too that the same author did a Hundred and One Dalmatians. Like Kay said, I wonder if the Disney movie version is vastly different.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this one and don't think I particularly want to - I'm so over books where girls are virtually sold to keep families afloat financially - and if it wasn't still going on all over the world I probably feel more sanguine than I do...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have encountered a few books that I didn't really care for the story but still didn't want to stop reading. I will be interested to see what you think of Hundred and One Dalmations when you get to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. Yes the idea of living in a castle - even be it old and run down is fascinating although probably not that comfortable. You were certainly good to keep going and pick out the positive aspects of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read this a few years ago and I enjoyed the book on the whole but I remember I didn't like the ending. I'm glad is was more or less a pleasant experience for you too.

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need a book published in 1956 for my Better World Books reading challenge, and I found out that 101 Dalmatians came out that year. Maybe I should read that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first joined Goodreads this book was, for some reason, all the rage. Everyone raved about it so I finally picked it up. And felt much the same way that you did. Maybe if I'd read the book as a younger person, some of the romanticism of it would have captured my attention more? I liked it but I'm still not sure why so many people adore it.

    ReplyDelete