Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Books That Have Been on My TBR for Years but Still Haven't Been Read

This week's Top Ten Tuesday Topic from That Artsy Reader Girl is Ten Books That Have Been on My TBR for Years But I Still Haven't Read Them.  I'm sticking strictly to the rules here and doing the first 10 books I added on Goodreads that are still unread.

1.  American Pie: Slices of Life (And Pie) from America's Back Roads by Pascale Le Draoulec - Pies and road trips - what can be better?  

2.  Hats and Eyeglasses by Martha Frankel - This is a memoir about growing up in a family of diehard gamblers.  It sounds like a mix of funny and tragic.  

3.  Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing by Anne Lamott - I've heard good things about this writing guide and that it can apply to all aspects of life not just writing.  

4.  Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks by John Curran - I have no idea why I haven't read this.  Not only is this a book by a man who was given access to ALL of Christie's notebooks that she kept throughout her life but I own a copy.  Not only do I own a copy but I bought it new and in hard back.  I can literally see it right now - sitting on the shelf where it has been since 2011.

5.  Agatha Christie by Laura Thompson - I've heard this is one of the best biographies of Agatha Christie that has been written and it is sitting right next to book #4 completely unread.

6.  The Maltese Manuscript by Joanne Dobson - I used to love this series of literary mysteries which involve a librarian or maybe a professor - I can't remember it's been years since I read any books from the series.  All books have a literary spin and of course a literary pun title.

7.  Talking with My Mouth Full: Crab Cakes Bundt Cakes, and Other Kitchen Stories - I love foodie memoirs and I love the title of this one.

8.  Cheerful Money: Me, My Family and the Last Days of Wasp Splendor by Tad Friend - I know nothing about this one other than I saw it on a discount table and bought it because I liked the cover.

9.  Dead Write by Sheila Lowe - I loved this series about a forensic handwriting expert who gets involved in murder investigations but it's kind of gotten buried under newer shinier books.

10.  Lye in Wait by Cricket McRae - I love cozy mysteries and I love the idea of crafty though I'm not so great on actually doing it so this series sounds perfect for me.  I have the first four but have I read any of them?  Of course not!

What books do you want to read that have been sitting on your shelf for years?


21 comments:

  1. American Pie sounds pretty good (and would probably make me hungry!) The Maltese Manuscript just sounds like a fun mystery too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many books sitting there on GR it is overwhelming!!! Hope you get to some of these at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crab cakes and bunt cakes, hmmm... that sounds like it would have been a great breakfast this morning. I knew I would see books about Agatha Christie on your list. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I only had 10 books waiting to be read, or that I could narrow down to a top 10 list, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read any of these but I have heard of the Agatha Christie books. You'll have to read them and let me know if I should. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comments about each book are great, Katherine. I also have American Pie and haven't read it either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now I want a slice of pie Katherine. I am thinking cherry or shoe-fly pie. LOL I have some books I bought on release day and never read, plus oodles of book three in YA trilogies that I will probably never read. le sigh. I should sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these...will you abandon them? Are they books you actually have, or just ones you checked "want to read" on GR? I don't pay any attention to those on my wish list unless I actually have the books.

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bird by Bird Executive Summary: "Shitty First Drafts" the rest is just keep at it, you can do it, and the phrase I want to remove forever from the English language: "Kill your darlings." Saved you that! Off to check out #7

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bird By Bird was good, and yes, it's about a lot more than writing. I really like Anne Lamott. And that book about Agatha Christie's notebooks sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bird by Bird is great, and I also loved her Traveling Mercies. The Agatha Christie stuff sounds terrific too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh good! I am not the only one with books rotting on my TBR. Bird by Bird sounds fun. I also really love foodie memoirs. I haven't read any in a while though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I have so many books that I've been meaning to read. I haven't read any of these, but hopefully you'll get to them someday. I'm thinking of adding a shelf on goodreads specifically for books that I want to read SOMEDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read any of these books either. Sorry. No healp. My TTT TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of these books. I have some pretty old books around here and I know that books have been sitting on my kindle for years as well. I just need more time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't think about the books on my TBR shelves (yes, actual shelves). I get anxious when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started Bird by Bird but never finished it. I might try it again some time though, as maybe I was in the wrong mood for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't have any of these on my TBR myself, but I hope you get an opportunity to enjoy some of these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just looked at my Goodreads TBR and I almost matched the books I posted lol. It's amazing how many books we can put on our TBR. I hope you get a chance to read these and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh so many on mine. The kitchen stories sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's fun to see what everyone has had on their wish lists or TBR lists for a long while. I read an Anne Lamont book years ago and really liked it. I hope you get to read all of these at some point!

    ReplyDelete