Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten 2014 Releases I Meant to Read

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic from The Broke and the Bookish is Top Ten 2014 Releases I Meant to Read but Didn't Get To.  I believe the expression that would describe my list for this is - a hole with no bottom.  There's so many great books I really wanted to get to but just haven't yet!

1.  So We Read On by Maureen Corrigan (pub. September 9, 2014) - I love books about books and this book on why The Great Gatsby went from popular novel to the enduring classic it is today sounds fascinating.

2.  It's in His Kiss by Jill Shalvis (pub. August 26, 2014) - I was literally checking NetGalley every few minutes to see if this request had gone through for DAYS.  This was in August.  I have the next 2 as well and haven't read them either.  I have no explanation for this except maybe not wanting the series to end?

3.  The Poppy Factory by Liz Trenow (pub. August 28, 2014)- The Forgotten Seamstress made my list of favorite reads from 2014.  Obviously I was excited to get my hands on her next book.  This was in August.

4.  Murder at the Book Group by Maggie King (pub. December 30, 2014) - It's a murder in a book club.  How did I not read this?  Though this one isn't super late so I'm not sure if it counts as "missed" yet.

5.  The Red Book of Primrose House by Marty Wingate (pub. November 4, 2014) - When I looked at my November schedule the second book in the Garden Plot series was one I could not miss.  Except it's January and I did.


6.  How to Ruin a Queen by Jonathan Beckman (pub. September 2, 2014) - I've been fascinated about the story of Marie Antoinette and the diamond necklace for years though I know almost nothing about other than it didn't end well.

7.  Silent Witness by Nigel McCrery (pub. September 1, 2014) - This is a nonfiction about forensics which is one of the most fascinating subjects ever for me.

8.  Night of a Thousand Stars by Deanna Raybourn (pub. September 30, 2014) - a book from one of my absolute favorite authors set in one of my favorite time periods with excellent reviews.  It's been sitting on my Kindle untouched since August.

9.  Secrets of Hallstead House by Amy Reade (pub. July 17, 2014) - I have no idea why I haven't gotten to this bit of gothic-y goodness.

10. No River to Wide by Emilie Richards (pub. June 24, 2014) - Another book by one of my favorite authors that has been sitting on my Kindle for months.  No idea what happened or how I didn't get to this one!

So what books were you excited for 2014 that just didn't quite get read?

27 comments:

  1. I loved the Poppy Factory. This is a great list. Thanks for sharing. Check out my My TTL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I haven't read it! I loved The Forgotten Seamstress

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that So We Read On is by Maureen Corrigan! I'm definitely more interested in checking it out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by her but I'm really excited about reading this one.

      Delete
  3. I really, really, really loved It's in His Kiss. I think it's one of my favorite Jill Shalvis books. I hope you do get around to it soon. It was sad to see that series end, but I'm excited for whatever Shalvis has up next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the reasons I haven't read it is that I'm sad to see the series go. I have heard it's the best of the series!

      Delete
  4. Well I haven't head of any of these. But I whole heartily agree that the list is never ending with books I didn't get around to. It'll probably never ever end. :P
    So We Read sounds awesome! On to my TBR it goes. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully believe that at am some point all of books will legitimately fit in my bookcase. Really! It's going to happen!

      Delete
  5. Haven't read any of these, but my TBR list is teetering. I think reading for critique groups and blogging has eaten up what time I was willing to take from writing. It's a mean balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! I didn't even count my regular TBR books just review books. My personal TBR is sadly neglected.

      Delete
  6. So We Read On is great~ I still have to write my review so it's quite possible I will be re-reading parts of it in the next week or two...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  7. I'm adding some of these to my tbr! :)

    Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A hole with no bottom is a good way to look at it. LOL I want to read It's In His Kiss, but I think I have a quite a few books to get to before I will get to that one. I know you don't need to read all her books in that series in order, but I want to try to some extent. Oh, and do read Night of a Thousand Stars! I hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review is what got the book on this list! I love Raybourn's books.

      Delete
  9. can you believe I've only heard of one of these?? I have to go look up some of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous how many books there are that I either haven't read or haven't heard of. I need to spend more time reading!

      Delete
  10. Wow, so many of these I haven't even heard of! And I haven't read any of them. But I've got the Raybourn book, too, and haven't read it yet. And some ARCs that I requested but didn't get around to reading (bad me!)

    BTW, I love your description of the list as a "hole with no bottom." That's how I feel about my whole TBR list. I will never get them all read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I get dizzy just thinking about all the TBR and ARC books I have.

      Delete
  11. LOL mine is obscenely long. There were SO many I was planning on getting to but nope didn't happen. I need to read that Shalvis one too. I'm so far behind on hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so behind on Shalvis and I have no idea why!

      Delete
  12. Ha ha, I not only have Ruin and Rising and The Retribution of Mara Dyer leftover from last year's highly anticipated list, but also Dance of the Red Death and G. Zevin's last chocolate book from the 2013 list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can believe it! I'm sure they're be a few from this list hanging on for next year.

      Delete
  13. I need to read So We Read On - maybe then I'll actually learn to like Great Gatsby! I mean, I get that the writing's great and all but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read The Great Gatsby in high school but didn't remember much about it. I was surprised about how grim and bleak it was!

      Delete
  14. I didn't know Deanna Raybourn had written a new book. I'll have to check on it. I hope you get to read all these books, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete