Saturday, January 3, 2015

Cook It Up! Cookbook Challenge - December Edition


Today I'm linking up with Cook It Up!  A Cookbook Challenge hosted by Trish at Love, Laughter and a Touch of Insanity and Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth F at Beth Fish Reads.

So I kind of failed this month.  I had a cookbook all ready to go.  One pulled from the very depths of the pantry that was dusty from not being used in years.  But despite my best intentions it didn't end up getting used.  Between the various family gatherings, the cold that wouldn't die and just being pulled in about 15 directions I didn't really end up doing much regular cooking except for the actual holiday cooking.
Then it hit me!  I may not have done all that much cooking from recipes except for one thing - Chex Mix.  I made Chex Mix until I had dreams about making it.  I'm not exactly sure what it is about Chex Mix but I don't think anyone passed the bowl without taking a handful of it.  My family has always adored the stuff but I've always hated making it because I always ended up burning it and it took forever.  Until I bought Christy Jordan's book Southern Plate.  She originally started out with a blog of the same name and published her 2nd cookbook last year.  They're all family friendly and user friendly recipes but her recipe for Microwave Chex Mix is kind of life changing.  Seriously.  Here's the recipe: Microwave Chex Mix.  Instead of peanuts I do 9 cups of cereal and pretzels but that's about the only change.  Also, make sure you use a big bowl for the microwaving or it can get messy with all the stirring.  I make and serve it in the same bowl and it essentially takes 8 minutes from start to finish and almost 7 of those are just microwaving stuff.

And while you're at Southern Plate check out the Chicken Planks, Comeback Sauce, Jordan Rolls, Pizza Rolls and just about everything else.  Judging by the state of my cookbook and it's tatters and stains it's one of my most used books and one that I turn to when in need of a little inspiration or just a good meal!

24 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling better Katherine! I don't think I've ever made chex mix. Huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I am. Amazing what a decent night's sleep will fix! If you ever decide to make it I definitely recommend this version. So much easier!

      Delete
  2. Kids love this stuff. Since I live in the South, I guess I should check out this cookbook! Hope you are feeling better - being ill during the holidays is a true bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overdid it so it was kind of my own fault. I definitely plan on being more organized next December so it doesn't happen again! Definitely check out Christy's site!

      Delete
  3. Wow! 8 minutes is fast for Chex Mix. I remember that taking hours. Unfortunately, I find it ridiculously addictive so I'm better off not having it around. This would be great for a party, though, when I know others will eat it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oven method does take forever which is why I never made it! My husbands the same way with this so I only make it on special occasions otherwise he'd probably make himself I'll!

      Delete
  4. So funny I have never tried Chex Mix it just doesn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest but it's a handy thing to have around when you have a lot of people over and a little time before the meal.

      Delete
  5. Ohhh, I haven't had this for years but love the idea of a 8-minute version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy! Really the hardest part is remembering to buy all the ingredients!

      Delete
  6. I love Chex Mix! Totally something that you make quickly(now that you make it in the microwave ;)) and everyone loves.
    Mmmmm...making myself hungry.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little study last time I made it and seriously no one walked by the bowl without taking a handful. It wax pretty funny!

      Delete
  7. I have never made Chex Mix (though I like it) but you have me sold on all the other recipes you mention (plus those on the cover). YUM! Love southern cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try her site Trish! I think you'd find a lot of recipes to use.

      Delete
  8. I haven't looked at this website yet, I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chex MIx is an essential element of March Madness at our house. I may have to try this quick version and see how it compares. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoe you like it! To me it's definitely worth it!

      Delete
  10. My mum's friend made us a batch. Her mum always made it for Christmas. We both lost our mum's this year and she wanted to keep the tradition alive so she made some for her closest friends. It is so addicting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry for your loss but what a nice way to keep loved ones with you.

      Delete
  11. Cookbooks ate always fun to get because of the many recipes that make your mouth water. Sadly, mine are neglected. Pinterest is my reference now. I love to cook and try to make more involved recipes during the weekends. This winter break the ohana has been eating good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to rely more on Pinterest as well. It's just so convenient! I have been trying to clear out my shelves and weed out what cookbooks are worth keeping and which are just taking up space.

      Delete
  12. My family loves Chex Mix too it is kind of a Christmas staple. Would you believe my daughter wanted muddie buddies at her wedding? Yeah we kept some at the bar. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally believe that! Muddy Buddies are amazing!

      Delete