Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I'll Have What She's Having - Review

I'll Have What She's Having: My Adventures in Celebrity Dieting by Rebecca Harrington

Rating: 3 Stars
Source: NetGalley
Description:  Rebecca Harrington is a dieter enthusiast.  She's never met a diet she didn't like or didn't want to try.  It started with President Taft's diet and quickly turned into a project involving the diets of celebrities like Gwenyth Paltrow, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Madonna and Jackie Kennedy.

Genre: Non-Fiction

Why I Picked This Book:  I loved Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me by Rachel Bertsche and the concept sounded similar.  Plus I was curious to find out about what Marilyn Monroe ate.


My Impression:
Pro:  I got a good feel for what resource materials she used and what foods she actually ate.  She talked about the attitude each celebrity approached their diets which was kind of fun as well as the costs associated with each diet.  The short chapters would make for good reading while traveling or a good pick up book when you just want to read a few pages.

Con:  This book read like a collection of articles stuck together.  To me it almost felt like the book proposal instead of the actual book.  She was giving a quick overview of what she was planning on doing but the actual chapters didn't feel fleshed out.  I didn't really connect with Rebecca with her constant dinner parties and worrying about losing friends.

Overall:  This wasn't a bad book but it wasn't a particularly good book either.  While the concept is great the execution fell more than a bit flat for me.  I don't have a huge list of pros or cons for this one because there wasn't much of either.  It was a quick read but nothing that really grabbed me or will stick with me.  If you're looking for a humorous a day in the life of a celebrity type book try Rachel Bertsche's Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Probably not another book though I may read her in column form.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Not really.  I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record but  if this concept appeals to you I'd try Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me.

20 comments:

  1. I think I will pass on that one based on your cons. I'm glad you reviewed it though, especially as you enjoyed a previous book by this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to love it but it just didn't work for me!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to read more non-fiction and both the books you mentioned sound quite unique! Despite the cons, I may give this one a read as well as Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me, since I'm pretty curious about what the author has to say on the diets. I'm a bit of a foodie and interested in nutrition so these diets peak my interest. Great review though! Definitely some good insights made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Jennifer Gwyneth and Me! It was so fun! I had a good nonfiction year in 2014 so I'm hoping for the same luck this year!

      Delete
  3. Not really my kind of book, but it sounds like it could be interesting. Non-fiction is always hit or miss with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonfiction can be finicky but when I like it I tend to love it!

      Delete
  4. Hi Katherine,

    I am not a huge non fiction fan either and 'celebrity' really doesn't do it for me!

    Your honest and forthright thoughts and appraisal will no doubt prove invaluable to anyone thinking of reading this book.

    I hope that your next 'good read', will be just that :)

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm reading another nonfiction that so far is working much better!

      Delete
  5. I like the concept of the novel, at least. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the concept! Unfortunately the execution was more just okay.

      Delete
  6. Interesting; I wonder why she didn't flesh it out more (if you'll pardon the pun.) I think I'll pass, if only because my experience with dieting is basically don't, because I always gain it back and then some. (I do better by making healthy changes to my eating and exercise - though even that isn't always effective.)

    On the other hand, I'll keep your recommendation for Jennifer, Gwyneth and Me in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she would agree the whole diet thing is basically a no!

      Delete
  7. Not sure I like the format is was present in..but curious about the stars diets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stars diets were pretty funny I just there was a little more to this one!

      Delete
  8. I don't think this is my cup of tea. I think you were adventurous to try this read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helped I had read a similar book that I really loved. It wasn't bad just not great.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like she's a little too involved in appearance. She sounds like she would annoy me to no ends.
    I'm sure you're glad you gave it a go.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely didn't connect with her. The book was ok but just not for me.

      Delete
  10. A few too many cons for me there. It sounds a bit too slapped together if it isn't fully fleshed out and I know I'd be left wanting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slapped together is really a perfect description for how it felt. It definitely left me wanting more.

      Delete