Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Books I'd Like to Read with a Book Club

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic hosted by The Broke and the Bookish is Top Ten Books I'd Like to Read with a Book Club.  This week's topic really had me thinking.  What makes a good book club book?  And also, what makes a good book club?  I've been a few but they've normally been connected to a Mom's Group I joined when the Tornado was a baby.  They were always a lot of fun but the discussions were very rarely on the book.  I think it'd be really fun to have a book club with some other serious readers.

1.  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I actually did read this for a book club and it was really fun.  The debate was pretty heatedly as some people absolutely hated the ending and some felt that it fit the craziness of the whole book.  I fell in the latter camp.

2.  We Were Liars by E. Lockhart - This is a book you want to talk about but can only talk about with people who have actually read the book. I had joined an online bookclub that did this one but I didn't do very well at actually participating so I missed my chance.

3.  Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier - So much to discuss with this one.  What really happened to Rebecca?  Is it possible to feel sympathetic towards her?  Is it possible to not want to shake the narrator and tell her to develop a backbone?

4.  The Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie - This is another one that has a lot of discussion points.  I don't want to say to much because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it.  There are a lot of legal and morale arguments that take place in the book,  Also, do you agree with Poirot's decision?

5.  The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - The main question for this one would be did Agatha cheat?  This was quite a controversial book when it was printed and it'd be interesting to hear what everyone thinks.

6.  The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah - this would be a good one to read with fellow Agatha lovers.  Does it capture Poirot?  How does it compare to Agatha's books? How does it stand on it's own? (I have a review coming out on this one in a few weeks so I'll have my answers there!)

7. Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman - a lot of fabulous bookish discussions could come from this one!  How people treat their books.  Who writes in them and who breaks out in hives at the thought?    Really the topics could go on for ages.

8.  A Fifty-Year Silence: Love, War and a Ruined House in France by Miranda Richmond Mouillot - This book made me think a lot about my own family and how secrets and family history affect present day generations.  I think it would lead to interesting discussions.

9.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - This would be a great book for any food themed book club meetings.  Plus you can compare the books to the movies and talk about who is your favorite Willy Wonka.

10. Goodnight June by Sarah Jio - Partly I just love this book but I also think there would be some good discussion points here.  What options could June try to avoid selling the bookstore?  What childhood books are important and how to they stay with us as we grow up.  That kind of thing.

So what makes a good book club book and what would you want to read?

46 comments:

  1. I tried listening to Gone Girl on audio but it didn't work for me. It sounds good though so I do want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see how Gone Girl would not work well in audio. I enjoyed it but it was definitely different!

      Delete
  2. You have some great books on your list and happily several that I've read. My mystery book group discussed both GONE GIRL and REBECCA. GONE GIRL was a lively discussion and it turned out most of us did not like the book and we said so, vigorously. LOL

    The REBECCA discussion went a different direction than I had anticipated. When I selected the book, I'd surmised that most had already read it before or at least seen the movie. Turned out I was wrong and it was not as well liked as I'd guessed. Many felt that it was a romance. Me, I'm in the Alfred Hitchcock camp. Still a good discussion.

    I'm going to think about THE MONOGRAM MURDERS, maybe with encouraging members to also read another Poirot book for comparison. Look forward to your review. Our mystery group is beginning our 8th year together and it has been so much fun. Look forward to many more years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would not consider Rebecca a romance so I guess I'm in in the Hitchcock camp! I think reading a Poirot and The Monogram Murders would be great fun. So far I'm enjoying Monogram but it definitely has a very different feel than Christie's books.

      Delete
  3. The Monogram Murders sounds really good and it would definitely make for a good discussion with other book/Agatha Christie lovers. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying Monogram Murders though it is very different. I think it'd be a fun meeting.

      Delete
  4. Gone Girl is such a good choice and is on my list as well- books with plenty of twists and interpretations are really the best kind to get into a discussion about. Rebecca works for that as well- the best kind of book club books are the polarizing ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely polarizing books are best! In one book club we ended up reading a cute chick lit book which was a good read but there was nothing to talk about! Most boring meeting ever!

      Delete
  5. Great list - I especially like your first three! Those would generate some interesting discussions!

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd really love to read We Were Liars in a book club setting. So much to talk about!

      Delete
  6. Ooooo, Rebecca! That would be a great book club book, and definitely something I would enjoy reading (again) and discussing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to read Rebecca again lately. I get a different perspective every time I read it!

      Delete
  7. We Were Liars is definitely a good pick. Can definitely pick that book apart. And I also feel like it's one that will have varying opinions. Which is good because that invites discussion. Which is the whole point of a book club.
    The only other one I've read is Charlie. But I'd definitely agree with Gone Girl and Rebecca being great discussion pieces.
    Good list this week. Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the reviews for We Were Liars were all over the map so I'd love to really talk about it with other people who have read it!

      Delete
  8. I'm going to read Rebecca this year but I've seen a film version already. I'm very excited about it and I think it would be interesting to discuss. I second your Agatha Christie choices also. The ending of the Murder of Roger Ackroyd really surprised me when I read it!
    http://youmeandacupofteablog.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-books-id-love-to-read-with-book.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy Rebecca! It's definitely full of twists and turns and Mrs. Danvers is so creepy!

      Delete
  9. I loved that you added Charlie & the Chocolate Factory... I read that book several times as a kid!

    Here’s a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-id-love-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the movies but only read the book this year. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading The Glass Elevator.

      Delete
  10. Goodnight June is an awesome choice! I so want to read that! The discussion you could have about childhood reading would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it!! I loved it! Definitely a feel good wonderful book.

      Delete
  11. Great choices - I was wishing for a book club discussion after finishing We Were Liars. Would love to reread it now that I know the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wanted to call someone who had read it but I didn't know the number of anyone who had and it was 2am!

      Delete
  12. Great choices! One of my bookclubs read The Tortilla Curtain by TC Boyle and it sparked a lot of discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read The Tortilla Curtain! I need to check that one out!

      Delete
  13. I have heard good things about We Were Liars. I'll have to check it out! Thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am definitely interested in We Were Liars! I need to read that at some point! I'm not sure about Gone Girl, but maybe I'll give it a try someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed We Were Liars and it's a quick read. I really liked Gone Girl but it's definitely not for everyone!

      Delete
  15. Agreed on Rebecca and Murder on the Orient Express! I'd love an excuse to read another Christie, especially I wasn't wowed by the first (And Then There Were None), and I want to make sure it wasn't just a fluke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ditto on wanting to join other serious readers! There's a local book club that I keep meaning to check out, but I do worry that we wouldn't actually talk about the book. :P

      Delete
    2. And Then There Were None is different from all of her other books. Have you tried any of her short stories? Poirot Investigates and Tuesday Club Murders are two great ones that could give you a feel for 2 main detectives without to much of a time commitment. The social aspect is a lot of fun but I do enjoy the book talk!

      Delete
  16. This looks like a great list, Gone Girl of course seems like it was made for discussion and I'm really curious about the craziness, so I may have to read it. I can imagine there would be many differing opinions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of Gone Girl. It's a whole bunch of crazy!

      Delete
  17. This looks like a great list, Gone Girl of course seems like it was made for discussion and I'm really curious about the craziness, so I may have to read it. I can imagine there would be many differing opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like your list. We Were Liars is perfect for discussion, mainly due to THAT ending :) I also want to start reading Christie and really want to read Gone Girl and more books like that so I'd definitely join your book club :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It'd be a great one! I'd love to discuss THAT ending! So many ways to see it.

      Delete
  19. I enjoyed reading your list, Katherine. Gone Girl would make a great book club read, I think. I thought the ending fit well with the book--but it was so disturbing just the same. Rebecca made my list--but I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending was definitely disturbing but like you I thought it fit. That's all kind of crazy. Read Rebecca! I'd love to hear your take on it.

      Delete
  20. I would hope that if I were in a book club and the discussion got heated, that I would be able to say that I played the peacemaker. But I'd be lying. Any book that causes that kind of emotion is good in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! I love books where everyone is invested.

      Delete
  21. Just got back from vacation and wish I had posted this Top Ten Tuesday!! There are so many books that I would love to read with a book club. I honestly wish I could find a real life book club somewhere! Just need to find some people who read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to find a great book club too! It's so fun to talk about bookish stuff!

      Delete
  22. Interesting list! I have a couple of those I wouldn't mind checking out. My book club is strictly romance and we just go for fun on a monthly theme like foodie romances or pirates or such. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. My book club chose Gone Girl one month...and then I was the only one who actually finished it. I was so mad that I couldn't discuss it with anyone!

    ReplyDelete