Friday, May 9, 2014

The Friday 56




I've been seeing this fun meme called The Friday 56 floating around for awhile but I never remembered it in enough time to do anything about it.  Today however I'm on top of it!  This is a meme hosted by Freda's Voice and the rules are pretty simple:

*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

My book is of course an Agatha Christie - be shocked.  I'm actually almost done with Death Comes at the End which is so different both in setting and style than any other Christie book.  Here's what grabbed me on page 56:


" "Little good that would do if you wanted to go! And why do you not want to go? I do not understand you.  What is there for you here?  You are a girl who has lived in cities - who has perhaps traveled.  Why do you coose the monotony of day after day here - among those who - I am frank - do not like you - who in fact dislike you?" "

20 comments:

  1. Always good reads, Agatha Christie...
    Harvee
    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely though I do try and ignore most of her books from the late 60s! Not her best writing for the most part.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed my first Agatha Christie book a few weeks ago and think I will pick up another soon. Happy weekend.
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Agatha! I think Sleeping Murder or And Then There Were None are probably my favorites. If you haven't read either of them yet I highly recommend them!

      Delete
  3. It's been a while since I've read an Agatha Christie mystery. I'll look for this one.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: MOVING IN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is so different from all of her other books it's really impressive she was able to change her style that much though it's definitely not one of my favorites!

      Delete
  4. I must admit that I haven't read an Agatha Christie, but I do want to read one. This one sounds great!

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is good but it's so different but her others it probably isn't the one I'd start with. Try Sleeping Murder or And Then There Were None!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've ever read a Christie novel, though I'm familiar with her popular protagonists.

    Thanks for visiting The Busy Mom's Daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Miss Marple is my favorite of her main 2. Poirot can get a little difficult.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't want to stay there. Why would she choose to stay in an environment where she's not wanted? Like the new cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really shouldn't have stayed. It didn't go well for her.

      This printing are some of my favorite Christie covers. All the covers are really nice with just the right amount of sinister.

      Delete
  7. It's been so long since I read Agatha Christie. I do want to go back and read some that I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Agatha but there's so many it's hard to read them all!

      Delete
  8. I've not read this one but can imagine it is quite good.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is good and so completely different than any of her other books.

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a powerful, insightful snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really sets the stage for what happens throughout the rest of book. I couldn't resist using that particular quote!

      Delete
  10. Fantastic 56! My nan used to read me these mysteries when I was a tot (she was unique like that) and this was one of her favourites.
    Thanks for stopping by my 56 :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she sounds fantastic! My Grandmother is one of the ones responsible for my love of Agatha for which I'm forever grateful. This is a good one and so amazingly unique!

      Delete