Thursday, May 22, 2014

Almost Home - TBR Thursday Review

Almost Home by Mariah Stewart

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  Steffie Wyler has wanted to do 2 things her childhood - 1. make ice cream and 2. marry Wade MacGregor.  Number 1 comes true when she opens her wildly successful ice cream store Scoop but number 2 doesn't look very hopeful.  Especially since Wade has moved to Texas and started a business there.  Now he's back but for how long?

Genre:  Romance

My Impression:
Pros: There was so much about this book I really loved.  I loved Steffie and her friendship with Vanessa, her house and her family.  I liked the small town feel and Stewart did a pretty good job of giving us enough characters so we get the feeling of a complete town but not overburdening us with back story.  I liked how she, Wade, Beck and Grady dealt with the adversity that showed up towards the end.  I'd like to see a lot more of Beck actually.  I may have to back and read his and Mia's story from Stewart's Dead series.  This is a nice story about nice people.

Cons: But... I wasn't totally in love with the Wade/Steffie relationship.  It felt a little too Steffie chasing after Wade and him letting her date him.  There was something very highschool-y about the whole thing.  It could be I'm just not sold on the MacGregor family as a whole since I wasn't able to finish Dallas MacGregor and Grant Wyler's book.

Overall Impression: While this wasn't my favorite book it was a nice entertaining read after I got into it.  I really liked Steffie and her family and found all the ice cream talk interesting.  Also, it did introduce me to the Madisons who both have books coming up that I'm really looking forward too.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, I have at least the next 2 books of the series in paperback and the newest 1 on my Kindle for review.  She's also been a pretty consistent author for me.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  On it's own merits probably not.  There are just better small town contemps out there.  However, if you're reading the series it's a nice read and helps with character development for later books.

8 comments:

  1. An ice cream store! That makes it tempting. :-) This book sounds like a mixed bag. I'll have to think about it.

    Off topic, I just finished a romance novel and thought of you. No special reason why--I just thought, Katherine should read this, not even sure you'd like it. I feel like I'm still fairly new to the romance genre having sworn off it decades ago and only recently returned to it. So, I feel like my opinion of romance novels is still on shaky ground. Which is silly, but, then, there's no accounting for the way my brain works. The book is The Millionaire Affair, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the ice cream store aspect and all the talk of ice cream had me having serious ice cream craving!

      I'll have to look for The Millionaire Affair. My brain makes connections that I don't quite get pretty regularly! I resisted the romance genre quite a bit but I do tend to enjoy them - especially those with some humor. There's some really great writers in the genre.

      Delete
  2. I love the premise, but unless you are vested in the series the fact that you didn't connect with the romance makes me nervous. I love small-towns and the ice cream shop sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting is great and I really really want to like this series but so far it's just not quite working for me. I'm hoping the next book is better.

      Delete
  3. I really don't want to take on a whole new series right now, so I think I'll pass on this one :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I usually love Mariah Stewart I think I'd pass on the series too at this point!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished my first cozy mystery book and my brain is still in detective mode. I am reading another shortly but I may take a break and read a romance. If I do, I'll know where to come! Good report.

    ReplyDelete