Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Showcase and Post: What I Got and What I Read



















Showcase Sunday is a linkup with Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea where we get to show off what we got this past week.  I'm also linking up with the Caffeinated Book Reviewer to talk about what I read and what I'm reading as well as what I got!

What I Got:

After a quiet few weeks things got a bit busier and I ended up with a few books.

From Netgalley:

Lisette's List by Susan Vreeland - I've never read any Vreeland though I've definitely heard of her books and I just loved the cover.  It's also set in WW2 France so I have high hopes.

The Woman Who Would Be King by Kara Cooney - I was lucky to have fantastic Western Civ and Art History professors in college (even though my degree was decidedly non-history related) who began a love for Egyptian history.  The history of Hatshepsut - the female Pharaoh - has always extra intrigued me!

The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place by Julie Berry - this is a children's book that caught my eye.  

The Question of the Missing Head by E.J. Copperman/Jeff Cohen - I've enjoyed other books by Copperman and this first book in An Asperger's Mystery series sounds intriguing.


From the Library:

A Covenant Garden Mystery by Ashley Gardner - a Regency mystery from a new to me author.  This one is Lisa from Books Lists Life's fault.  Not that it really matters I just like to place blame.

From Paperbackswap:

Golden Malicious by Sheila Connolly - I love love love this series and I'm really excited because it appears that Seth is restoring an old house in this one.  Can't wait to read it!

Once in a Lifetime by Jill Shalvis - So I've already read this.  In fact I've already reviewed this but I made the mistake of reading the next one in the series and now I really really want to see Leah and Jack again. 

Merry Market Murder by Paige Shelton - I have enjoyed the 2 books of the Farmer's Market series so far and at the rate I'm getting through my bookshelves it will be Christmas by the time I get to this one - especially considering I've got 3 more to read before I get to this one!




What I Read:

Not the best week. I only completed 3 though I have a few about half done

Murder on the Home Front by Molly Lefebure (Review)
This was a fabulous nonfiction about the inner workings of a morgue in 1940s London.  I did discover a PBS movie and series that appears to be loosely based on the books so I think I'm going to have to check that out soon.

One Book in the Grave by Kate Carlisle (Review)
Another fun book related mystery by Kate Carlisle

Dog Gone, Back Soon by Nick Trout (Review)
A fast entertaining read for animal lovers






What I'm Reading:


This is Agatha's only book that takes place in ancient Egypt.  To be honest it's always been one of my least favorites and this reread isn't changing my mind.

This is the 20th Phrynne Fisher mystery and the 2nd one I've read.  So far I'm enjoying it.  The review should be posted Wednesday

I really enjoyed the 1st and 7th in the series but never finished the 2nd one.  I'm hoping this one stays as enjoyable as its been so far.  The review should be posted Thursday

I've really been looking forward to this one.  The review should be up Friday.
I've had mixed feelings about the first 2 in this series so I'm hoping this one proves to be better.


20 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Murder on the Home Front when I read it last year and do check out the TV series - it is only loosely based on her book but it was really good! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the show! I will definitely have to check it out. I've been burned on other loosely based shows so I was a bit nervous!

      Delete
  2. I am curious about Lisette's List by Susan Vreeland. I love the WWII Paris setting! i totally want to read Murder on the Home Front by Molly Lefebure call me morbid but I am loving the premise. I look forward to your thoughts. Have a wonderful week Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to Lisette's List! Not morbid at all! Murder on the Home Front is a really interesting read. Definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. Murder on the Home Front by Molly Lefebure sounds really good. I haven't heard of it but I'm really curious now. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really liked Murder on the Home Front. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read Vreeland, either, but now you have me wanting to do so! Enjoy...and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vreeland has always been on the list of authors I should read at some point but that list is really long! I jumped at the chance to read this one when it came up on Netgalley.

      Delete
  5. Looks like some good arrivals, I've been enjoying more historical fiction lately and Lisette's List looks good- I like that cover and the WWII setting in France. Sounds promising... enjoy your reads this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to reading it. Just hope it holds up to my expectations.

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of any of these except Jill Shalvis, but haven't read any of her books yet. Hope you enjoy them all and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Shalvis. They're not always my favorites but they're always a solid read. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. The Woman Who Would be King sounds fascinating. I'm definitely going to have to look a little closer at it.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it will be! It's one of the stories that most intrigues me so I'm really looking forward to reading it! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. Haven't heard any of these, but some of them look like good mystery books, I need to check them out. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a weakness for cozy mysteries. Have a great week!

      Delete
  9. I love the cover of Golden Malicious. Totally draws me in.
    I'm a not a real big mystery reader, but you have some interesting ones there.
    Have a great week. Enjoy all your new reads.
    Happy reading!

    My SS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something about Sheila Connolly's writing and story choices always grab me. Don't know exactly what it is. It's a pretty solid cozy mystery series if you ever need a little shaking up! Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. I need to read some Agatha Christie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do! Of course I'm somewhat biased because she's one of my favorite authors. I have 2 recommendations - 1. Avoid books she published in the 60s or 70s (with the exception of Sleeping Murder) and 2. Start with a Marple or a Non-series book. Poirot can be on the dry side. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete