Saturday, May 3, 2014

Pranksters - Review

Pranksters by Kembrew McLeod

Rating: 3 Stars

Description:  This is the history of pranks as defined by the author and their repercussions both social and political throughout time.

Genre: Non-Fiction

My Impression:  I have read some reviews that felt misled by the title of this book but as the author clearly defines his definition of prank within the first 15 pages it didn't bother me.  Plus, I suspect Tricks, Illusions and Satire wouldn't have been as catchy of a title.  I loved the description of Benjamin Franklin's announcement that his newspaper competitor had died and how he carried on afterwards.  The idea of how satire changed the thinking of the lower classes and how it contributed to both religious and social reform is fascinating and was a new perspective for me.  However, because the subject matter is lightweight do not expect this to be a light funny read.  It is anything but.  It is detailed and well researched.  While it is fascinating it is not a beach read.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes

Would I Recommend this Book?:  Yes

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fascinating read. I will have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an interesting read though not quite what I expected. I always like finding a new perspective on history.

      Delete