Friday, September 25, 2026
Friday Fives - Five Quick Reviews for Books I've Read Recently
I'm in a list making kind of mood so I thought I'd start making random five lists. Sometimes they'll be bookish other weeks not so much. This week I'm sharing 5 quick reviews for books I've read recently.
1. The House of Hidden Letters by Izzy Broom - As soon as I read the blurb I knew I had to read this one. Main character starting over, found family, interesting setting, and a bit of history. I ended up really enjoying it. I loved Skye and the rest of the new community and her slow introduction to the small island community. This was a quick read and with a nice flow. My only complaint is that I wanted a bit more resolution with the World War II plotline - but I tend to prefer my endings with a nice bow on them. I did just discover this is the first book in a series so I'm hoping for a bit more resolution in future books. My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)
2. Animal Attraction by Jill Shalvis - This is the second book in the Animal Magnetism and while each book is completely standalone I'm glad I read the first book so that I understand the world and the relationship between Dell and his brothers. This was a nice romance with two likable main characters though both with a bit of baggage. There's a good sprinkling of side characters but not so many that it gets distracting. There's a bit of spice - definitely not closed door - but the focus is much more on the emotional connection. As usual, Shalvis brings the characters to life and has great pacing and I love the animal sidekicks. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and this reminded me of just how much I always enjoy this author's books. My Rating: Really Liked It (4 Stars)
3. The House of My Mother by Shari Franke - I was never a fan of 8 Passengers and didn't even really know of its existence until right before the end. However, I was horrified and couldn't look away when the story broke, and Ruby Franke and Jodi Hildebrandt were arrested. I put this book on my audio hold list kind of on a whim but ended up finding it fascinating and compelling. Shari does an amazing job of telling her story of growing up with a complicated and controlling mom while protecting her siblings completely. Only her brother, Chad (who was not a minor when everything broke) is mentioned in any detail and even then only as it relates to her experience. Shari tells a story of finding her strength and her voice after a childhood of constantly being dismissed and belittled. The way Shari has transitioned away from being the child of a family vlogger is interesting and the way she has used her voice to protect those who have come after her is inspiring. If you want a tell all about the criminal case watch the documentaries but if you want a story of survival and strength pick up this book. My Rating: Really Liked It! (4.5 Stars)
4. Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand - This is the third book in a trilogy and to be perfectly honest I'm glad to see the back of these characters. I liked Huck, Irene and Maia pretty well but the rest of the characters annoyed me more and more as the trilogy went along - especially Baker. The only reason I finished it at all was because I wanted to see how everything with Russ's business played out and by the end I'm not sure if it was worth it. This is the first series I've read from Hilderbrand and it definitely doesn't have me rushing to pick up any others. I have a few of her standalones and I'll give them a try but I'm hesitant to pick up any more of her series if this is a true example of how she develops them. My Rating: Not For Me (1 Star)
5. The Charmed Library by Jennifer Moorman - This was a fun concept for a story. Stella is frozen in place after the death of her father and the end of a relationship that she really thought was going somewhere. Everyone seems to have an opinion as to what she should do next except for Stella herself. When in a fit of unhappiness she burns her journal it starts a whole chain of chaos and hopefully helps her find herself. The magical element was a fun one and I liked that the book primarily takes place in the library. Unfortunately, this wasn't a total win for me. The prose was a bit overdone and Stella drove me a crazy. She seems a bit immature and for the bulk of the book I was pretty sure she just needed intensive therapy and maybe a CT scan. It was hard to root for her happy ending because it was hard to believe she was ready for it. I did enjoy the reading experience and would try this author again but I would hope the main character would be a bit more likable than Stella. My Rating: Liked It (3 Stars)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment