Source: Purchased
Description: Everyone expected Isabella Charteris, beautiful, sheltered and aristocratic, to marry her cousin Rupert St. Loo when he came back from the War. It would have been such a suitable marriage. How strange then that John Gabriel, an ambitious and ruthless war hero, should appear in her life. For Isabella, the price of love would mean abandoning her dreams of home and happiness forever. For Gabriel, it would destroy his chance of a career and all his ambitions....
Genre: Fiction
Why I Picked This Book: This was the July pick for the Read Christie challenge.
My Impression: While I have read all of Agatha Christie's mysteries (including plays and short stories) I've never read her books under her Mary Westmacott pseudonym. These have been labeled her "romances" but I struggle to actually consider this book in that genre. The story is told through the point of view of an observer and focuses on a point in time when ambitious politician, John Gabriel's life collides with sheltered princess of the castle Isabella Charteris. Because of this there's a distance between the readers and the characters and while we see their actions we never truly never know their emotions. We do see some of the narrator, Hugh Norrey's, emotions and thoughts which I very much enjoyed. I also really liked his sister-in-law Teresa.
This was an interesting read with quite a lot to think about. I think there's a disservice done to it by billing it as a romance. If you go in expecting a love story (like I did) I think you'll end up disappointed. If you go in expecting a story about human behavior and reactions this is an interesting read. I enjoyed the book and got through it quickly but would have enjoyed it more if there had been a bit more to the story or more character development.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I will definitely read more Christie but am not sure if I'll be searching out more Westmacott. I am looking forward to reading the August selection - By the Pricking of My Thumbs - which I haven't read in years.
Would I Recommend this Book? Maybe. It can be a bit hard to find but it was an interesting and quick read.
Would I Read More of this Series/Author? I will definitely read more Christie but am not sure if I'll be searching out more Westmacott. I am looking forward to reading the August selection - By the Pricking of My Thumbs - which I haven't read in years.
Would I Recommend this Book? Maybe. It can be a bit hard to find but it was an interesting and quick read.

I haven't read any books under this name either.
ReplyDeleteAnne - Books of My Heart
Well at least you gave it a sample and found what you liked and didn't like. Yes a romance needs a HEA and that sense of emotion and intimacy between the characters and the author bring the reading on board.
ReplyDelete