Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Top Ten Tuesday - My Favorite Books of 2020

 


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is My Favorite Books of 2020.   While I'm not worrying about what year the books were published in I'm only counting books I read for the first time this year.


1.  The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman - This books was crazy and so much fun.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  I've read the second book and enjoyed it just this much.

2.  Summer at Lake Haven by RaeAnne Thayne - I read this book at a particularly hard time this year and it was such a lovely bit of escape full of really nice people and puppies!

3.  Tales from the Odyssey Part 1 and 2 by Mary Pope Osborne - I vaguely remember reading The Odyssey in high school but I thoroughly enjoyed this more family friendly but not dumbed down version and if possible my 10 year old enjoyed it even more!

4.  A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles - I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up this book that takes place over decades in a hotel in Moscow but it was fascinating, funny, and tragic.

5.  The Lost Carousel in Provence by Juliet Blackwell - This book has been on my TBR since it came out in 2019 and it didn't disappoint.  I loved the dual timeline and thoroughly enjoyed the story.


6.  Christmas at the Island Hotel by Jenny Colgan - I loved the first 3 books in the series that I was a little nervous to pick this one up but it did not disappoint.

7.  Sugar and Vice by Eve Calder - This was a delightful cozy full of cookies and yummy baked goods as well as murder and pirates!

8.  Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan - Another Colgan but if anything I might have enjoyed this one anymore.  I cannot resist a puffin sidekick!

9.  The Storm Sister by Lucinda Riley - I finally got around to reading/listening to the 2nd book in the series and enjoyed it even more then the first.  I can't wait to listen to the 3rd.

10.  The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connection with Your Kids by Sarah Mackenzie - I read this early in 2020 and it made I loved it.  It made me really excited to start making reading aloud on a regular basis.  This year kind of went off the rails but I have high hopes for 2021.

What were your favorite books in 2020?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine! I've put The unexpected Mrs Pollifax on my Classics Club Reading Challenge and hope to get to it soon. I just first need to read Around the World in Eighty Days for the last Classics Spin and to start my 2021 reading challenge with. AND then I hope to get to A gentleman in Moscow. My reading challenge for 2021 will be Around the World in Eighty Books. Going to try to "visit" as many places as possible!

    Hope 2021 will be a good year for you and your family with good health and great books.

    Happy New Year!

    Elza Reads Favorite Top Top Ten for 2020

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have A Gentleman in Moscow in my digital library holds but won't get it until next year. Looking forward to that one. I love the Jenny Colgan book covers. It's a cover that makes me want to pick it up at a bookstore. So inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of the books on your list, but several are ones I hope to read. I didn't manage to read Colgan or Thayne this year. :-( Makes me sad. The Read-Aloud Family sounds awesome! My daughter is a reluctant reader, but when I offer to read with her, then she's all for it. So we do a lot of reading out loud together, taking turns. I let her pick the books. It'll be nice when our library opens back up and we have more choices. At least she got more books for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the books that made your list. I should give Jenny Colgan a try since two of her books made your list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I see three I loved too. I think the Lucinda Riley books are on the whole really great on audio. I loved the one set in Australia, especially the Australian part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed The Shadow Sister and hope to get back to the series. I liked the Thayne book (I never say no thanks to review offers of her books) and look forward to Christmas at the Island Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MRS. POLLIFAX!!!!! I <3 her, and that series, so much. And it's the only book on your list I've read, lol. Colgan is on my wish list so good to see you like her. Interesting list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still need to read the Read-Aloud Family. I don't know if I checked Hoopla, or not. 📚

    ReplyDelete