Sunday, April 19, 2020

This Week in Reading - April 19


It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.

What I Got:



These are all from a BookOutlet order I made a few weeks ago.  This was my first ever order from them but it won't be my last!

The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan - We visited the Biltmore almost 20 years ago and I've wanted to go back ever since.  The house is fascinating and I'd really like to know more about the people who lived there.

Missing! Mysterious Cases of People Gone Missing Through the Centuries by Brenda Z. Guiberson - I didn't realize this was a children's book when I ordered it but that doesn't make it look any less fascinating and it might be fun to read with my 10 year old.

Thimble Summer by Elizabeth Enright - Enright is one of my favorite middle grade authors and this is the only one I haven't read so when I saw it on Book Outlet I figured it was a sign.

A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable - An apartment closed up for years and secrets of the past landed this one on my TBR.  I can't wait to read it.

The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber - I love this series so I figured I should start from the beginning!

The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz Williams - This was the book that put Beatriz Williams on my TBR map though I know I was late to the party there.  This one looks wonderful!

Blood Brother by Nora Roberts - This was one of the few Roberts series I never read.  When it came out I wasn't reading anything that even vaguely touched on the paranormal (other then ghosts.  I've always been up for a good ghost story) but now that I've read a little more I want to give this one a try.

Currently:

Reading Digging Up the Dirt by Miranda James, A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles, and One Perfect Summer by Brenda Novak

Listening:  The Lost Carousel of Provence by Juliet Blackwell

Watching:  We finished River and are now watching the first season of Foyle's War.  Next up I think we may take a break from British Murder and watch Good Omens.  All of this is on Amazon Prime

Off the Blog:

New week same basic story.  Since we home school the school situation is basically the same and progressing actually a bit faster since we no longer have co-op classes and field trips.  He did have a Scouts meeting on Zoom the other day which he loved and went as smoothly as it could have given it was a bunch of 10 year old boys all excited to see each other.  My husband is still working from home.  I still haven't left the house other then to go out in the yard though I do have a doctor's appointment this week. 

Other things I've done this week:

I made this baked tortellini from InstruPix which is a blog I've never used but it turned out really good.  If you can't find ground beef (or just aren't feeling it) I think it would be fine without it.  I used just a basic basil and garlic marinara sauce and added about half a cup of water to the jar, shook it up, and dumped it in.  It was pretty tasty and heats up well.

And because I'm wanting something sweet all the time I made these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars from Tastes Better From Scratch and they were SO good.  Honestly I liked the buttery oatmeal cookie flavor so much I could have had less chocolate.

On YouTube I've been loving SGN (Some Good News with John Krasinski).  It's happy tears and just funny.  I've also been binging WIRED's AutoComplete Interviews with various celebrities.  I don't really watch the rest of the channel but those are hilarious.  I loved the one with the guys from Frozen especially but basically all of them are entertaining.

We watched Onward on Disney+ the other night and all enjoyed it.  It was a bit longer then most Disney movies so I wonder if younger kids would like it.  I also wonder how kids who had recently suffered a close loss would deal with it as it's take on the permanency of death could be problematic.  Without either of those issues it was a pretty entertaining movie.

On the Blog:

What Happened:

What's Coming Up:

Monday:  Who Speaks for the Damned - Historical Mystery Review
Tuesday:  First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro 
Wednesday: One Perfect Summer - Fiction Review
Thursday:  Books from the Backlog
Friday: Friday Fives
Saturday: Cat Among the Pigeons - Classic Mystery Review

Have a wonderful week and stay healthy and sane!  Happy reading!

28 comments:

  1. We haven't been leaving the house much either except for grocery runs. It's becoming the new normal, at least for now! I need to find some good British mystery stuff on Netflix or wherever. I've been in a mystery mood lately!

    I've heard really good things about Beatriz Williams. Hope your books are good this week.

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Mouse's Girl Scout troop would set up a zoom meeting. She really misses her friends. I caved and signed her up for Facebook Messenger for kids so she can chat with her dance buddies who are also on there. She seems them via Zoom in dance classes, but they don't get to socialize.

    The Last Castle sounds really interesting. I hope you enjoy all your recent purchases. How are you finding Blackwell's book? I have that on my TBR. We really enjoyed Onward. I hope you have a good week. Stay safe and well, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll all get to know our houses well! Online things like Zoom sure have come into play. I find I am baking a little more than usual, and occasionally trying something new. I am not much of a cook nor interested but gotta eat! Nice to get some new books, I was surprised that two books arrived for me from the UK Book Depository in the last week, a pleasant surprise because I thought I might not see them for months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Onward, but I understand your concerns. We also watched Trolls world tour and there is too much of music. I hope you have a great week ahead.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoom playdates and meetings for my son have been a godsend! This situation is tough on everyone but I feel particularly bad for kids although they're handling it amazingly well. Shame the same can't be said for some adults! Some people just refuse to adhere to social distancing restrictions. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are still keeping safe, though it must be a constant strain with a youngster in the house, as they do need social interaction with their peers. It sounds like Zoom could be a real help. Have a peaceful, healthy week, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In March I read The Girls of Atomic City by Denise Kiernan so I'd probably like this other book as well. Glad u blogged about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to give The Anatomist's Wife a try!

    And aaah, hope you enjoy Good Omens. I love it so.

    My weekly roundup post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love BookOutlet and want to make an order soon but I'm so anxious about mail now! :(
    I hope you enjoy your new reads! Have a great week!

    Stacy Renee | LazyDayLit

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have enjoyed some cozies from Miranda James, so I will be adding this one to my list.

    Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your week. Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to get back to the Miranda James series. Both James series are good. The Last Castle sounds interesting. I haven't been going out except for grocery shopping. More reading time for me :) Hope you have a great week. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear the homeschooling goes okay and that zoom chat went well. I hope your doctor visit goes smoothly next week. That's nice you got so many new books this week. Those oatmeal chocolate bars sound delicious. I'll have to pin that recipe so I can try it out later. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also in the historical mystery mood. I have not started the series but I have The Anatomist's Apprentice on audio from the library. My daughter has a doc appt next week and she has not been out since March 16 so I dread it. The cooking is going well here too.

    Stay safe and have a great week! Happy reading!

    Anne - Books of My Heart Here is my Sunday Post   

    ReplyDelete
  14. "New week same basic story."
    Isn't that the truth!? Love this post though... good books (I want to read The Last Castle, too!) and good food. I'll probably give both of those recipes a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Foyle's War is so good! And your new books look good, too, especially Thimble Summer and The Anatomist's Wife.

    I'm glad your Scout troop was able to set up a Zoom meeting. This must be so rough on kids, though at least you were already homeschooling so that wasn't an abrupt transition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'd love to read Missing too. I don't have kids, but I do enjoy children's books at times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're havin a good time at home. The dishes you made sound yummy. Love how your son had a troop mtg on Zoom. I know all the kids miss their friends a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Book Outlet! I love Book Outlet and had to tell myself to take a break from ordering more books for a while. I wonder if things will be different at your doctor's appointment. My husband had to get some blood work and he had to do a temperature check before he could walk in the building. Enjoy all of your new books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE BookOutlet. I have to stay off that site, or I’ll buy everything. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have discovered that I am rubbish without human interaction. I think I have hit my lowest point ever, and I'm terribly sad and lonely. This cough has persisted, though (fingers crossed) I think the antibiotic might be knocking it out.

    I think I need to do some writing and drawing today. Maybe doing something creative will pull me out of this funk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like some great books, enjoy! I hope you like Foyle's War I enjoyed it. Have you watched Midsomer Murders? It's one of my favorites! I enjoyed Onward as well.

    Stay safe and happy reading,
    Stormi
    Week in Review

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice mix of books this week. Blood Brothers doesn't sound familiar; I'll need to look it up at Goodreads. It sounds like you have been doing a lot of cooking and having fun. I hope you and your family stay safe and healthy. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really am beginning to feel like I live in the movie Groundhog Day. I found myself trying to explain the story to my mother-in-law (who had never heard of it - she doesn't watch movies very much). And I found myself talking to her on the phone for about 45 minutes - probably a first in the 40 years my hubby and I have been married. I like my mom-in-law and have talked to her that long in person, but we just don't do the phone thing much. Until now. Ha! Hope you enjoy watching Foyle's War. One of my favorite series. Also hope your week goes well - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice haul! Looks like you have some fun books to look forward to.

    My husband and I watched Onward with our 11yo daughter. We all enjoyed it. I *may* have even shed a few tears. I thought it was fun and touching. You're right - it might be tough for kids who have lost a parent or someone close to them, but it might be healing as well? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's the new norm isn't it. Kind of strange what we can get used to. Looks like a great week in books!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I agree with Kay's comment about being stuck in Groundhog Day-that's how I feel every day! I just wish I could stop feeling so tired all the time! It's stopping me reading and getting other stuff done. I'm glad I don't have children as that must be exhausting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. If you're gonna be stuck in the house, I agree that this is the perfect time to try some new recipes and eat lots of yummy food(lol) I live in North Carolina and still dream of visiting the Biltmore. I hope to do it this Christmas. Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so happy you found Thimble Summer! I loved it. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete