Saturday, April 25, 2020

Cat Among the Pigeons - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie

Rating:  Loved It! 
Source: Purchased

Description:  When what looks like an amorous assignation turns out to be an assignation of quite a different sort, a globetrotting murderer leads Hercule Poirot on a breathless chase from a revolution-torn Arab sheikdom to a very respectable English school for young ladies.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I love Agatha Christie and her mysteries are perfect escapist reading.

My Impression:  Oh this is a fun one!  There's a bit of locked door, a bit of espionage, and a bit of just solid classic mystery all in the setting of a famous British Girls school with a fabulous head mistress and a dash of Poirot.  This book was published in 1959 and is at the tail end of her strongest writing period.  By the mid-1960s or so her plotting starts to lose its edge and things get a bit confusing.  However, in this one the details are still sharp and while there are many threads every detail is clear and concise.  I hadn't read this one in quite some time and had forgotten many of the ins and outs and I could not wait to find out just what was going on and who was behind of the mayhem at Meadowbank.  Poirot doesn't have the biggest presence in the book and while he is the perfect vehicle for wrapping everything else the progress of the story doesn't lag because he isn't around.

Like all of Christie's books there is no real order and her mysteries can be enjoyed in any order!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I will always gladly pick up a Christie book!

Would I Recommend this Book?  Definitely!  This was a really fun read and a solid mystery.

6 comments:

  1. The moment you say English School for Ladies I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I read this one. Don't remember much about it other than the setting. I might want to put it on my list for later this year. Glad you enjoyed a Christie reread - who doesn't love that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good that you can go back and read the books that you really appreciate. Seems like Agatha Christie will "live on" for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember liking this one, but it's been so long since I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this one but it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one sounds really good! I am so glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete