Tuesday, March 31, 2020

My Nonfiction TBR


Last year I had really hoped to read more nonfiction but last year didn't go as planned so this is now the read more nonfiction year!  I'm making a list of books that have caught my attention that I'd like to read.  A lot of these are books I've seen at my library so they're not the newest and shiniest books but they are all that I think are interesting!


1.  A Bookshop in Berlin: The Rediscovered Memoir of One Woman's Harrowing Escape Harrowing Escape from the Nazis by Francoise Frenkel - This sounds fascinating and ever since we visited the WWII Museum I've been really wanting to read more from this time period and this sounds unusual.

2.  Missing!: Mysterious Cases of People Gone Missing Through the Centuries by Brenda Z Guiberson - I'm never not wanting to read a Missing Person book and historical missing people are even more interesting.

3.  A Secret Life: The Lies and Scandals of President Grover Cleveland by Charles Lachman - When I think about Grover Cleveland scandal is usually not what first comes to mind so I'm seriously curious.

4.  Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth A Life Beyond "Cheaper by the Dozen" by Jane Lancaster - Cheaper by the Dozen and its sequels were some of my favorite books as a child and reading it as an adult really shows what a fascinating woman Lillian Gilbreth was.  I want to learn more about her.

5.  A Woman of No Importance:  the Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II by Sonia Purnell - More WWII, more unusual angles, and I just can't resist spies.


6.  King Con: The Bizarre Adventures of the Jazz Age's Greatest Imposter by Paul Willetts - I just want to know more based off the subtitle.

7.  Betty Ford: First Lady, Women's Advocate, Survivor, Trailblazer by Lisa McCubbin - I read a book about modern first ladies last year and was really fascinated by Betty Ford so I'd like to read more about her.

8.  Jane and Dorothy: A True Tale of Sense and Sensibility: The Lives of Jane Austen and Dorothy Wadsworth by Marian Veevers - Jane is such a shadowy figure in my head so I'd like to flesh her out abit.

9.  Conan Doyle for the Defense: The True Story of a Sensational British Murder, a Quest for Justice, and the World's Most Famous Detective Writer by Margarit Fox - Conan Doyle had such a varied career and I love historical true crime.

10.  Defiance: The Extraordinary Life of Lady Anne Barnard by Stephen Taylor - I don't know who Lady Anne Barnard is but apparently she was defiant and I'm curious to know more about her.

What nonfiction books are on your TBR?  Have you ever come across any of these?

11 comments:

  1. That sure is a great list of possibilities and I hope you get to sample some of them. Reminds me I have one of Eleanor Roosevelt on my Kindle I want to read. Oh so many books, and so limited a human reader I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look good; lots of history in there too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m glad you mentioned that book about missing persons as thats one I would love to get. I will check amazon or Thrift Books as soon as I am done visiting. I just finished Educated and liked it. Need to post my review. Up soon for non fiction is a book about wine by Kermit Lynch and one about being left for dead on Everest by Beck Weathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many interesting choices here! A Bookshop in Berlin is on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2 sounds interesting. I'm always up for a missing persons book, too, and the true stories are some of the most fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to read more nonfiction. King Con sounds like it could be a really interesting tale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Non fiction has been a big part of my reading over the last eighteen months and I'm ploughing through a few more at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These all sound great! I read quite a bit of nonfiction last year but this year I've read much less. I need to get back on it because there are so many interesting books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I failed at reaching my goal of one Non-Fiction book a month last year, but I'm on track this year. The King Con story sounds very intriguing. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete