Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Cookies and Cups Cookbook - Cookbook Review + Recipes

The Cookies and Cups Cookbook by Shelly Jaronsky

One of the very first food blogs I stumbled upon was Shelly Jaronsky's Cookies and Cups.  My Pinterest account was sparkling new and I realized that the yummiest looking desserts and the ones that came out the best when I attempted them all came from Cookies and Cups.  When I heard she had a cookbook coming out I absolutely couldn't resist - especially not with that mouth watering cover!

So I ordered it, sight unseen (which I don't do very much anymore) and after one flip through I knew I had made a fantastic purchase.  This book is crammed full of tempting recipes, the bulk of which are sweets.  Sometimes dessert cookbooks have huge sections on decorating or focus more on the looks of the food than the taste but this isn't one of them.  Jaronsky's cookies, cakes and pies are pretty to look at but that's just a byproduct of them being delicious!  I love that most of the recipes have a little twist or something that makes them unique but aren't so off the wall that you'll have any problem finding the ingredients or people to try them.  The dessert section is broken down into basic recipes, Cake, Cookies, Brownies and Bars, Cake, Frosting and Pie.  I'll be trying Vanilla Bean Snickerdoodles, Brown Sugar Blondies, OMG Pull-Apart Praline Bread, Glazed Lemmies, Peanut Butter Cup-Filled Brownie Cookie Sandwiches, Gooey Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, Confetti Cake and a whole host of other yummies very soon!

Today I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes so far.  Key Lime Pie is one of my absolute favorite desserts so when I saw there was Key Lime Pie in cookie form I couldn't resist and I'm so glad I didn't!

Key Lime Pie Cookies

1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons Key lime juice
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup white chocolate

Preheat the oven to 350.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment mix the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  (I used a hand mixer and it worked fine)
Add the egg, vanilla, key lime juice, and lime zest and continue mixing for 1 more minute, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Mix in the salt and baking soda until incorporated.
Turn the speed to low and add the flour and graham cracker crumbs until the dough comes together.
Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.  Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden.
Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl.  Heat on full power for 25 seconds.  Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the chocolate.  Repeat this process until the white chocolate is melted and smooth.  Transfer the melted chocolate to a small ziptop bag.  Snip one corner of the bag off with scissors and drizzle the white chocolate on top of the cookies.  Allow the white chocolate to set completely.

My Changes: I had run out of the bottled Key Lime juice I usually had on hand and just used the juice from the regular limes that I had zested.  I also left off the white chocolate because nothing good comes from white chocolate.

My Results: So so so good!  If you love Key Lime Pie or know anyone who does make this recipe!

But this cookbook isn't all about the sweet!  The last quarter is dedicated to savory recipes.  They're on the quick and family friendly side but with a twist.  There's a Margarita-Marinated Skirt Steak with Pineapple-Avocado Salsa, Cashew Chicken, and a French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese that looks AMAZING!  I just had to share this recipe for Garlic Bread Pasta.  I made it as a side for a breaded chicken dish and it is so good!  It also comes togheter super quick and you could use it as a main dish if you wanted.
Key Lime Pie Cookies 

Garlic Bread Pasta

1 lb cavatappi pasta
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons salted butter
3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 large cloves garlic, minced

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat, continuing to cook the butter until browned and the color of deep amber, constantly swirling the pan so it doesn't burn.  Reduce the heat to low and add the breadcrumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.  Stir the breadcrumbs to coat them in the butter and remove the heat.
In a microwave safe bowl, melt the remaining 1/2 cup butter and garlic together.  This infuses the butter with the garlic.
Add the garlic butter to the bowl of pasta and toss to coat completely.  Then add the buttered breadcrumbs and toss to coat.
Serve hot.

My Changes:  Basically nothing.  I used a different kind of pasta but it was similar in shape so I don't think it made too much of a difference.

My Results: Yum!  This was quick and easy to make and worked great as a side dish but add a salad and it'd be a good main dish!

I'm linking up with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads

20 comments:

  1. I already have this one my wish list because it sounds amazing! I didn't realize there was a savory recipe section so that is good to know too.
    " I also left off the white chocolate because nothing good comes from white chocolate." <---That made me laugh so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a sucker for cookie cookbooks. This one looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to remember that one about nothing good comes from White Chocolate. It is in the back of my mind, but that's a perfect way to say it. As far as I'm concerned it could be a more solid version of Crisco. But I would also suspect that nothing bad comes from key lime juice recipes.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now you have me totally craving cookies for breakfast! (It's 6 Am here.) ;-) This looks like a fun and drool-worthy book. I like the unique twists on things and I adore key lime pie so having those flavors in cookie form is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with the "nothing good comes from white chocolate" party, but the book sounds amazing. So many good recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cover is irresistible! And the key lime pie cookies look great. Must look for this book at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful looking cookbook. The pasta dish is one I was to try right away. My husband loves good pasta, so I'll try this out on him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Key lime pie - how wonderful. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great cookbook! Love trying new cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great cookbook! Love trying new cookie recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! I love key lime pie. I will have to make these cookies. The pasta sounds delicious, too. I will go have a look to see how much the Kindle book is because I promised myself that I would not buy anymore physical cookbooks. Ha ha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! This book has you craving dessert, doesn't it? Shelly Jaronsky is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just signed up for her blog email list and followed her on Instagram. Looks like a great cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you, I don't often buy a book without checking it out first but you did well on this one! Omg, those cookies make me want to jump through this screen, Harry Potter style!, and eat them all. That would be rude, so yeah, we can share.....since they are your cookies 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOSH, key lime pie cookies!?!? I love key lime pie, so it being in cookie form is awesome! Will definitely have to try it out! Thanks for highlight it, this sounds like a great cookie cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Key Lime Cookies sound wonderful. I love key lime pie, too, so a cookie recipe sounds great. And the cookbook sounds great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't eat a lot of Key Lime Pie, but these cookies sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my word that sounds amazing! I love keylime pie. I've not had key lime cookies before. Must. Try.

    And yeah. White chocolate is NOT chocolate. So wrong.

    ReplyDelete