Saturday, May 28, 2016

52 Pins in 52 Weeks - May Edition

I love Pinterest.  I love pinning recipes from my favorite food blogs or scrolling down the Everything section to see what everyone else has been pinning.  I love the idea of all the crafts and recipes and everything else right there at my fingertips.
Right now I have around 10,000 pins in 60 boards.  I do use Pinterest a pretty good bit but tend to stick to the boards regarding Dinner and let other delicious looking recipes or fun crafts languish unused and ignored.  This year I'm trying to get more use out of Pinterest so at the beginning of the year I created my 52 Pins in 52 Weeks Board as well as a Results Board to keep track of it.  I'll be posting my results the last Saturday of each month.

This month ended up being all food because it was all I could do to actually feed people this month.  Something about the end of the school year has me crawling across the finish line in total exhaustion.  Anyway, it was a pretty solid month.  No spectacular failures and some pretty fantastic successes.  Next month I'll probably be using some of the kids crafts because I have a little one out of school who might need something to occupy his time!

Week 19:

Pin: Gourment Chicken from Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake


Reason Picked:  I love chicken dishes in cream sauce and this one has bacon!
The Basic Idea: Browned chicken baked in a creamy cheese sauce with bacon added
The Results:  This was good though I'm not sure it's fancy restaurant good as it's claimed in the original recipe.  It took longer than I expected because I had to bake it for so long and the sauce got a little grainy.  I'm not sure this is a recipe I'll be anxious to make again.


Week 20:

Pin: Strawberry Banana Bread from Baking Bites

Reason Picked: I love banana bread and the strawberry/banana combination plus it's strawberry season and I'm always looking for ways to use up strawberries.
The Basic Idea: A yummy banana bread with either freeze dried or finely minced fresh strawberries added.
The Results:  So good!  I actually made this for someone else as I'm the only one in my house who eats banana bread but I kept a few slices.  It's a good banana bread on it's own and the strawberries just add a little punch of freshness.  I used fresh and chopped them up fairly fine but not into a mince.  If you like banana bread this is one not to miss.

Not the prettiest but this was not the month for piping bags and the like!

Week 21: 

Pin: Salted Caramel Cupcakes from My Baking Addiction

Reason Picked: This is one of my favorite blogs and I love all things salted caramel - and cupcakes
The Basic Idea: A chocolate cupcake filled with a salted caramel sauce and topped with vanilla buttercream.
The Results: While this is one of my favorite blogs this is one of her older recipes and is really more of a formula than a recipe.  The caramel sauce from her link was really good but put together with everything else it got kind of lost.  It ended up being too much work for just a decent cupcake.



Week 22:

Pin:  Carmelita Cookies from Cookies and Cups

Reason Picked: I've seen a billion recipes for Carmelita cookies on Pinterest and Cookies and Cups is always reliable.
The Basic Idea: An oatmeal chocolate chip cookie wrapped around a Rolo candy
The Results: Delicious!  If you didn't want to mess with the Rolos than you could just make excellent chocolate chip cookies with the dough.  You do freeze the Rolos but I just tossed the bag in the freezer overnight and had no problem unwrapping them so you don't have to unwrap the candy and figure out where to put them and all that.  You do have to chill the dough as well so do all the prep the day before you need them and then you can just make them the day of so it didn't seem like a lot of work.  Plus, these are just seriously good cookies!

I'm linking up with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads

19 comments:

  1. I think I need to try the strawberry and banana bread and those cookies. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to reactivate my Pinterest account! You always have such great ideas from there. This post makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can no one in your house like banana bread? :O I love strawberries and banana together. Mmmm...sounds delicious. And also my favourite time of year, because fresh strawberries are the best.
    All these dishes sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Cookies and Cups recipes and I love Rollos, soooo gonna try that one. And I'll take that strawberry and banana bread in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going with the strawberry banana bread consensus, that does sound good. I'm not a Pinterest person, as it would be one more thing to do, but you're getting good use there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet this week! Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salted caramel cupcakes sound good!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never thought to add strawberries to banana bread. And I like the idea of Rollos in oatmeal cc cookies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all sound yummy so I think I am hungry...lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like some good successes. The Rolo cookie is intriguing. I bake a yeast bread with chocolate chips in it and freeze the chocolate chips first -- otherwise it ends up being a chocolate streak bread instead of a chocolate chip bread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to jump on the strawberry banana bread train--that sounds delicious (although the Carmelitas are a close second). Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea, 52 pins in 52 weeks, I love it. Everything here sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a sucker for dessert. I am not a fan of bananas but the cookies sound delicious. I think the cupcakes sound good but I don't like recipes that require a whole lot of effort unless the payout is huge. Looking forward to see what crafts you try next month!


    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. We're a split family on banana bread, but I have always thought that the old Joy of Cooking recipe I use makes the best banana bread. But adding strawberries sounds like a great idea! I have gotten away from Pinterest recently, but whenever I go into the app, I end up browsing and pinning away again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cookies with candy in the middle, and I love Rolos, so, yeah, that makes that one a must for me. Just like with the lemon bars Sebastian doesn't like banana bread. What is wrong with these people? Ha ha. I never make it for myself. Maybe if I call my mother and listen to her complain about my nephews for an hour or so, she'll make some banana bread for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness! I'm going to pin these recipes. I love chicken any way I can get it, I love banana bread and strawberries but never tried them together, and I love anything salted caramel. And an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie wrapped around a Rolo candy, how could you not want to try that?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! I'm going to pin these recipes. I love chicken any way I can get it, I love banana bread and strawberries but never tried them together, and I love anything salted caramel. And an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie wrapped around a Rolo candy, how could you not want to try that?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The banana bread cupcake looks amazing! I love banana bread. Strawberries are still fairly pricey here. A lot of our local crops got taken out by hail this past month. Noooo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those cupcakes are like so many recipes I've tried lately. On paper, they seem like a can't-lose but sometimes all of the great things together just wash each other out. On the other hand - damn, strawberry banana bread sounds like it got it all right!

    ReplyDelete