Thursday, April 21, 2016

Brighton Belle - Review

Brighton Belle (Mirabelle Bevan #1) by Sara Sheridan

Rating: Good 
Source: NetGalley
Description:  In post World War II England, former Secret Service operative Mirabelle Bevan becomes embroiled in a new kind of intrigue...
1951: In the popular seaside town of Brighton, it's time for Mirabelle Bevan to move beyond her tumultuous wartime years and start anew.  Accepting a job at a debt collection agency seems a step toward a more tranquil life.  But as she follows up on a routine loan to Romana Laszlo, a pregnant Hungarian refugee who's recently come off the train from London, Mirabelle's instincts for spotting deception are stirred when the woman is reported dead, along with her unborn child.  After encountering a social climbing doctor with a sudden influx of wealth and Romana's sister, who seems far from bereaved and doesn't sound Hungarian, Mirabelle decides to dig deeper into the suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.  Aided by her feisty sidekick - a fellow office worker named Vesta Churchill ("no relation to Winston" she explains) - Mirabelle unravels a web of evil that stretches from the Brighton beachfront to the darkest corners of Europe.  Putting her own life at risk, she must navigate a lethal labyrinth of lies and danger to expose the truth.  (From Goodreads)

Genre: Mystery

Why I Picked This Book:  The cover is gorgeous and I love this books set around World War II - especially in England.

My Impression:  What an entertaining start to a series!  This is the first book in the Mirabelle Bevan series and it kept me turning pages.

Mirabelle reminds me a little of John Watson in the BBC Sherlock or the women in The Bletchley Circle.  The wartime service had her seeing things she never would have seen and doing things she never imagined doing and now in peacetime she's bored and restless and craving the excitement and the danger that she used to have.  Not only is she bored but she's also grieving the death of her longtime boyfriend who died in just a few years before.  She's also incredibly capable in her new work at debt collecting and doesn't think twice about taking a fairly simple job when her boss is out sick.  It's also easy to understand why she keeps pulling at the threads that don't quite fit and becomes involved in a full scale investigation.  Vesta is a fun character.  She feels kind of like Mirabelle's little sister who refuses to be left out of the fun.  She's looking for an adventure and is quick witted though not nearly as experienced or jaded as Mirabelle.  The debt collection business also provides a good cover for the two to go around asking questions though Mirabelle is definitely stretching things a bit!

The book moves along at a pretty fast paced.  Not only is the mystery starting to show itself but we're getting to know Mirabelle a bit better and getting hints of her wartime service and who Jack was.  This isn't a simple whodunnit.  It's more of a who is who and why and what were they doing there.  With all the ins and outs sometimes details get a little lost and I found myself having to remind myself who a character was and how they were connected a time or two.  However, I was pleased with the resolution and felt like all the loose ends were tied up nicely.

I love the setup for the series in this book.  Mirabelle is a great character who is serious without being angsty and I though Vesta proved a nice addition as her assistant.  If you like strong female leads and twisty mysteries I think this a book you'll enjoy.  I'm definitely looking forward to the next entry into the Mirabelle Bevan series!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes!  The titles were published in the UK a few years ago so I'm looking forward to getting the next one soon!

Would I Recommend this Book?: I would!  If you like murder mysteries that are a little on the cozy side with a bit of an edge then give this one a try.

10 comments:

  1. I love the set up for this. I love novels set round WWII. It kinds of makes me think of Flavia de Luce.

    I agree, the cover is gorgeous! I'm glad you still really liked this, even if the details could make the story feel a bit bogged down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very appealing! Adding to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A strong female lead and a twisty mystery sounds wonderful. The time period also appeals to me. I am glad you enjoyed this one, Katherine. I will have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover caught my eye when I was blog-hopping, too! And I like this time period so curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes that cover is amazing. I am all for WWII books set in England as well. Will definitely have to check this one out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the time period - great cover. A cozy with an edge: sounds perfect for me! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good. Lately I've been wanting to read WWII books. Maybe this one is one I should add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cover like yourself and like the sound of the set up and story and the potential it has. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this screams read me Katherine. I love WWII settings ans love the mystery aspect. Ooo that 11.99 eBook price is steep though..I added it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like something I would really enjoy, Katherine! I read a lot of mysteries set in the 20s and 30s and loved the Foyle's War series set during WWII, so it's time to take a look at mysteries set in post-war Britain. Plus the heroine and her sidekick both seem very appealing.

    ReplyDelete