Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Linkups: Heroes are My Weakness














It's Friday linkup time!  I'm linking up with the Book Blogger Hop hosted by Coffee Addicted Writer, Book Beginnings of Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, and the Friday 56 hosted by Freda's Voice.

This Week's Book Blogger Hop Question:
Ending a book I loved is sad and beginning a new one is apprehensive for me.  What about you?

My Answer:
Yes and no.  I don't really mind ending a book I loved but I'm always a littler nervous starting a new book in a series or by an author I really love.  I'm always a bit afraid that the latest book just won't live up to my expectations.  I have found that I generally need a few days to a week before starting a new audio book after I finish the one I was listening to. I'm not quite sure why it takes so much longer to reset between audios than it does with books but it definitely seems to be the case.

This week's book is Heroes Are My Weakness by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  I've really enjoy Phillips' books though I haven't read them all.  I figured I would get to this one eventually but last week at the library I picked this up and read the blurb which happened to contain magic phrases like "He's a reclusive writer" and "the mysterious mansion that hovers above the cottage" and next thing I know the book is jumping into my library bag before I could stop it.

The Beginning:
"Annie didn't usually talk to her suitcase, but she wasn't exactly herself these days."

My thoughts:
I think Annie and I are going to get along just fine.  I have a habit of talking to myself or to inanimate objects when on my own though I can't remember talking to a suitcase unless I can't find it or I manage to stub my toe on it.

The 56: 
"She had every reason to tell Jaycie she couldn't do this anymore.  Every reason except an absolute certainty that she couldn't live with herself if she let her fear of Theo Harp force her into abandoning the girl who'd once saved her life."

My thoughts: 
I'm not quite to this point here so I have no real idea why Theo is so scary though he does seem seriously strange.  I also don't know what Jaycie did to save Annie's life but I'm seriously curious.

So what do you think?  Keep reading?  To books sometimes sneak into your library bag or shopping cart or what have you?  Or is that just me?

19 comments:

  1. I don't ever mind finishing a book either. I love that feeling I get when I finish a really good book and I'm just smiling afterwards. Sometimes I need a few days between audios, although sometimes I just right into the next.

    I've read Heroes Are My Weakness. I really like SEP, too, but I must admit I didn't love this one. It's not bad, though, so I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yea, books do jump in my library bag impulsively and also at used book shops. I've learned to temper this habit when requesting from Netgalley, however, for my own good. I have seen a couple of reviews of this book but only skimmed them because I'm interested in reading it also. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do enjoy this author, so this one is going on my list....and I also talk to inanimate objects, including my TV (shouting sometimes), my computer, and even the books I am reading...LOL.

    Thanks for sharing....here's mine: “EVERYONE WORTH KNOWING”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the funny opener, definitely keep reading. SEP is always worth a read.
    MY FRIDAY MEMES

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I really like your book beginning, it really makes you wonder what the hell is going on and makes you want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the title of this one intriguing. I wonder how it ties into the story. Books you never meant to check out from the library often end up being wonderful discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "next thing I know the book is jumping into my library bag before I could stop it." LOL I can relate and I can also relate to talking to inanimate objects as I do it too.:D

    I'm not a big Phillips fan, I really have to be in the right mood but this one has a promising beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I need to try SEP. I know. I do. I love the title of that one :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love SEP's books and this one sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love mysterious mansions! And that's a great first line. I don't feel sad when I get to the ending of most books. It's only with certain ones (like the Harry Potter series) that I feel this way. And when I start a new book, I always feel that hope that this will be one of those that will make me sad when I get to the ending and the book is finished!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It takes me a day or two to start a new book if my previous read really gripped me. You recent read sounds interesting BTW :)

    BookBeginning@EverythingNyze
    BookBloggerHop@EverythingNyze

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heroes are my Weakness is in my tbr pile so I hope you love it. I tend to mix my genres and try not to read the same genre/tone back to back and this allows me to easily transition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I talk out loud to myself too. My boss asks me who I'm working with that day. LOL
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/04/17/the-friday-56-58-terror-never-sleeps-by-richard-blomberg/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still giggling at that beginning! :-)
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel sad when I am done with a book I like because I miss the characters and want to know what they are doing now. :)

    Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted to read something by this author, so I'd continue. Thanks for visiting my post last Friday. Sorry for the delayed response--I've been having computer issues.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never thought about the time it takes for me to start a new audiobook versus a book book. I think my turn around for an audiobook is much faster than a book for some reason. Hmm! Now I will be thinking about this all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know if I'm apprehensive about starting a new book after finishing a good one, but I do try to keep my expectations from getting too high. I've been disappointed enough to know it's best if I don't let that happen.

    I love the title Heroes are my Weakness. They are my weakness too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd go for it - loved the beginning. I often talk to myself (but use the excuse I'm talking to the cat).

    ReplyDelete