Saturday, April 11, 2015

Eating Rome - Review


Eating Rome: Living the Good Life in the Eternal City by Elizabath Minchilli

This book was like a trip to Rome in hardback form.  The photographs are beautiful, the writing is like having a conversation with a good friend and the recipes look delicious and easy to follow.

The chapters cover pretty much every topic relating to food you can think of - shopping, breakfast, coffee, pasta and lots of other things.  They were broken up in a similar way with 2 or 3 pages discussing the finer points of the topic, a few recipes based off the subject, and then followed with a short list of places that correspond with what she is talking about.  There's a list of her favorite open air markets and coffee shops and all kinds of handy resources.

One thing that I really loved that I don't see often in any travel books is that she discussed those unwritten rules.  Things like how to order coffee, eating outside (which is a big don't) and touching produce at markets (also a no).  These are the little things that I always worry about when traveling to unfamiliar places so I really enjoyed that.

With travel type books I frequently find them a little boring unless it's a place I'm actively planning on going but that wasn't the case with this book.  Minchilli manages a good mix of personal stories, humor along with advice and suggestions.  This would be the perfect gift for anyone who is going to Rome, loves Rome, or wants to go to Rome.  As for me, I'll be trying the recipes for Carbonara, Olive Oil Cake, and Cacio e Pepe and pretending the sights of Rome are just outside my window..

I'm linking up with Weekend Cooking hosted by Beth Fish Reads

14 comments:

  1. My daughter went to Italy last January with her school, she loved it but sadly, when in Rome, she ate a sandwich that was made back home for the trip, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book! I'm always very worried about being rude accidentally in restaurants, because I don't know of a certain unwritten rule. I've been in Rome years ago and the food was fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made the Caio e Pepe and it's very good! I hope you like it. Write about it!
    I like books like this with details about the locals and give a flavor for the area. It's about the only wy I travel these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds wonderful... definitely belongs on my list! Thanks for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting book! Love how it sounds and I want to know about Olive Oil Cake. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...Rome...Italy. One day. One day... I do read some non-fiction travel books(being a travel agent it does interest me. Lol). So I'm going to add this one to my TBR. I may not be big on the recipes and such, but this one seems like it has other things to offer beyond that. Thanks for letting us know about this book.
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, oh -- those UNwritten rules. That alone sold me on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the type of food-related book I LOVE. Combo travel and food book. And yes to those unwritten rules!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love that. Sounds like a great book. The tips are nice too. It's hard to know what's okay and what's not place to place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I'd had this book when I was in Rome, instead of bumbling around, trying to get what was needed from a guide book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fabulous book - I'll be looking out for it. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rome is somewhere I've always planned on going too. Will take this book if I ever get there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lovely way to visit Rome without leaving your kitchen!

    Happy cooking!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you posted about this! We're planning a trip to Rome in October and I'm compiling a book list. This is definitely a must-read before our trip! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete