Wednesday, April 8, 2015

French Coast - Review

French Coast: A Novel by Anita Hughes
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Source: Author/Publisher

Description:  Life is perfect for Serena.  She has her dream job, the assignment of a life time interviewing former Vogue editor Yvette Renault in Cannes, and the perfect fiance.  Until everything starts to crumble.  The hotel loses her reservation and then the perfect fiance may not be so perfect - especially when an old buried family scandal comes to light.

Genre: Fiction

Why I Picked This Book: The blurb sounded intriguing and the location sounded so glamorous that this seemed like escapism reading at it's best!

My Impression:
This book is like reading a glossy magazine poolside.  The people are gorgeous, the money is flowing and the clothes are stunning.  Serena's wardrobe is a character unto itself and the names and descriptions made my mouth water.  If I could take one thing from any book right now it would be Serena's wardrobe.  So many designers and just stunning descriptions!
Serena's life starts out as just too perfect.  Everything is going her way and it sounds like it always has.  She's from a wealthy family, she's gorgeous, she's intelligent and have I mentioned her clothing?  Even with the reservation she still lands on her feet as she stays with Zoe who isn't quite who she says she is.  But then things really start to crumble for her and it's interesting watching her struggle to keep going.  I ended up really liking Serena by the end.  She had dealt with a lot and stayed on her feet.
While there is a strong adultery theme in this book it didn't bother me to the level it normally does.  These were more like scandals from the past than the usual affair.  As well this wasn't a romance despite there being some romantic developments in the book.  There was one issue that occurs in the last third of the book that I had some issues with.  It wasn't anything Serena did but how something was handled in the past so it didn't ruin the book for me. Also, I would've liked something unpleasant to happen to Chase.  Maybe a long walk off a short pier or a painful rash or something!  It didn't hurt my enjoyment but it would've been lots of fun to see!
This would be a fantastic beach read - old scandals, new heartbreak, beautiful clothes and a stunning location!

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?: Yes, I would - especially if the blurb catches my attention as much as this one did.

Would I Recommend this Book?:  If you have any interest in fashion I think you would enjoy this book.

Challenges Met?

3 comments:

  1. The cover and your sentence "This book is like reading a glossy magazine poolside" makes this sound like a fun way to spend an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books like this are for me as I can be an armchair traveler. I may give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sounds like a book I would enjoy. Love your comment on Chase, I often get like that over a character. Putting it into my wish list.

    ReplyDelete