Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday - Bookish Wishes


Today I'm linking up with Top Ten Tuesday hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl which is all about lists.  Since lists are one of my favorite things this is one of my favorite linkups!  Today's topic is Bookish Wishes.  This time I am taking inspiration from how  Lydia Schoch tackled this topic.    In her blog post last time this topic came around she wished for book recommendations and gave a number of genres or tropes she was looking for.  Here are 10 subjects/genres/tropes/or other bookish things I would love recommendations for.


1.  Old Houses - I'm looking for a book where a main character has come into possession of an old house by some means or other.  Bonus points if it's still full of stuff and there's a mystery to be solved - or a ghost.  Or both.

2.  Magical Realism - I love Sarah Addison Allen and Heather Fawcett and would love some more books with that general feel.

3.  Fantasy that isn't 9 million pages long - I've really enjoyed the fantasy I've read but the massive page count I see so often in the genre regularly scares me off.  

4.  Romances with more story than spice - I love romances that really focus on the characters but I'm not a huge fan of lots of spice.  I have my tried and true authors that I enjoy - Jill Shalvis, Lisa Kleypas, Nora Roberts, and a few others - but at some point I'm going to read all of their books.

5.  Found Family - Found Family may be one of my very favorite tropes.  No matter what genre it is if a book involves a found family I am in!


6.  Bookish characters - I love books where the character is bookish and it isn't just window dressing.  I love when they talk about books or mention books or books and reading are somehow pivotal to the plot or character development.

7.  Books involving antiques or vintage clothes - especially when the plot involves the history or the story of that particular item.

8.  Books set in hard to find states - Every year I try to "travel" to as many states as possible through my books.  I have a tough time finding books set in Delaware, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota especially.

9. Books with a Gothic-y Feel - I love books with a good eerie setting like Kate Morton or Barbara Michaels and am always looking for more books like that.

10.  Your favorite book - I tend to stay in my lane when it comes to reading but so often some of my favorite books of the year are when I take a chance or read something on a recommedation that I wouldn't normally pick up.

Do you have any book recommendations for me?  My TBR needs to do some growing!

10 comments:

  1. You had me at old houses. I love a story taking place in an older home and with secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantasy does always seem to be long, but urban fantasy seems to be more reasonable. Perhaps because they are always an arc over the series and a longer series than epic fantasy.

    I recommend Katherine Center, Kirstan Higgins, Christina Lauren, Emily Henry, and Susan Wiggs for some of the Life Fiction like Jill Shalvis has been doing. These books often have found family also.

    For Montana and Wyoming read books about National Parks. Some are cozy mystery, or mystery or romance. CJ Box, Craig Longmire, Scott Graham, Christine Carbo, Patricia McLinn, Jane Porter, Devney Perry, Jessica Clare, and CJ Carmichael for a few.

    Anne - Books of My Heart


    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of old houses, I was just reading Cathy's (Kittling:Books) review of The Framed Women of Ardemore House by Brandy Schillace. You can find it here - http://www.kittlingbooks.com/2024/06/the-framed-women-of-ardemore-house-by.html. See what you think about that one. Looks good to me. And you know I love a good Gothic book. Did you tell me that you've read some of Carol Goodman's books. Those fit that area. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantasy books that overly long make me think of urban fantasy. Written in Red by Anne Bishop is one of my favorites. Found family makes me think of Wolfsong by TJ Klune. And for some reason, Overkill by Sandra Brown came to mind for something gothic or atmospheric. Hope you get some great recs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could give some recs but I think we like many of the same and you've read them. I would back up Tanya on the Written in Red by Anne Bishop series but on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't think of too many books to recommend since we both usually read the same books. I do recommend Pamela Kelley for romance. She's really good. Not too spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have a hard time finding books set in certain states. Nebraska is always a tough one. Christopher over at Plucked From the Stacks mentioned ONE BIG OPEN SKY by Lesa Cline-Ransome in his list this week. I love a good pioneer/homesteading story, so I just put it on hold at my library.

    I'm a sucker for so many of these themes as well. I'm going to think on these and get back to you if I think of some good ones...

    Happy TTT (on a Wednesday)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For #1, Old Houses, these might work: The House Next Door by Anne Rivers Siddons, The Family Game by Catherine Steadman, The Only One Left by Riley Sager, and The Heiress by Rachel Hawkins ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re Romance - have you read any of Abby Jimenez's books? I love them.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea, and I will use it next time the wishes prompt appears at TTT. I'd recommend as a favorite book for you to read (if you haven't already read it) Foster or Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan. Both of these are very short and poignant.

    ReplyDelete