Saturday, February 27, 2021

The Moving Finger - Classic Mystery Review

Goodreads:  The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

Rating: Loved It!
Source: Purchased

Description:  The placid village of Lymstock seems the perfect place for Jerry Burton to recuperate from his accident under the care of his sister, Joanna. But soon a series of vicious poison-pen letters destroys the village's quiet charm, eventually causing one recipient to commit suicide. The vicar, the doctor, the servants—all are on the verge of accusing one another when help arrives from an unexpected quarter. The vicar's houseguest happens to be none other than Jane Marple.

Genre: Mystery - Classic

Why I Picked This Book:  I'm rereading all the Miss Marple books and this was next on my list.

My Impression:  This is a Miss Marple book but only in a technical sense.  Miss Marple does appear and she does help with the investigation but only in the last 50 pages or so.  The bulk of the book is all about Jerry Burton and his sister Joanna who are getting used to life in a small town while Jerry recuperates from a flying accident.  At first they are entertained by cast of characters and all the gossip flying around.  Joanna's attempts to fit in had me laughing a time or two and I enjoyed meeting all the different people in the village.

The mystery is intriguing.  Just who has been sending the poison pen letters all over the village with the most outlandish accusations?  And what is their real motive?  Like a true Agatha Christie there are lots of red herrings, motives, and clues bandied about and thankfully Miss Marple arrives at the last minute to keep everything well in hand.

Would I Read More of this Series/Author?  Of course!  I already have the next Miss Marple book ready to go!

Would I Recommend this Book?  Yes!  However, if your main goal is to read a Miss Marple then I might pick another one as her page time is very small.  It's still a fantastic mystery so well worth reading.

4 comments:

  1. I remember that one from reading it previously and can't wait to get to it on my Agatha Christie re-read project ! I'm glad you loved it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I downloaded an entire series on my Kindle but haven't had the time to read it yet. A real comfort read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything Agatha Christie. Miss Marple is my favorite.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one creepy title. Ha ha. 😯

    ReplyDelete