Sunday, August 16, 2020

This Week in Our New Normal - Week # 1,444,402 (or 7)

 It's Sunday Post time!  This is hosted by the awesome Caffeinated Book Reviewer and gives us all a chance to recap our week.


I hope everyone had a wonderful week.  While I have been reading I've been completely MIA around here.  We had a crazy week - not necessarily a bad one just an exhausting one.  Will had his third spinal tap/bone marrow test earlier this week and and we are still waiting for results.  This should tell us if he's in remission or not so we are rather anxious.  He started phase two of treatment as well which involved a 24 hours high dose chemo followed by minimum of 24 hours of IV fluid which meant going inpatient for that time.  If you have to stay in a hospital for any length of time St Jude is definitely the hospital to stay in.  They try to be really quiet and even wear little reading lights around their neck for when they have to do any kind of late night checks so they don't have to turn on bright lights.  They're really amazing.  However, it's still a hospital and it can only be so restful.  On the plus side, he's feeling pretty good and his energy level is holding pretty steady.  We are hoping to have more visitors soon and I see a visit to the zoo in our future since it's outside and the crowds have been really low.  

As well, we are trying to decide at what point we go back home.  We are heading to a point where he can get some of his treatment at the affiliate at home BUT we'd still be back and forth to Memphis a good bit.  On top of that I'm concerned about what happens if he runs a fever or if anything comes up that would send him inpatient.  Most likely he'd be admitted to the children's hospital there which is excellent but doesn't specialize the way St Jude does.  It's a lot of mental back and forth.  On the plus side I have been really enjoying my books and they've definitely provided a nice mental break

Currently:

Reading: Molded 4 Murder by J.C. Eaton and Thread and Dead by Elizabeth Penney

Listening: Murder in the East End by Jennifer Ashley


What are you reading?  Hope you have a great week!


16 comments:

  1. Glad Will is doing well and good luck with the test results! Hopefully it's all good news! I think that's neat they do the night light thing- it's little things like that that make a big difference. I remember being in the hospital nt long ago even as an adult and yeah the night visits definitely disrupt your sleep, so that's good they do that. St. Jude's sounds amazing really.

    Glad you're able to get some reading in to help get your mind off things, it must be so tough right now. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tiring but hopefully with great results soon. MIA is totally okay and don't even consider it. All the best for Will. Glad you have been getting some reading in and that the staff at the hospital are so considerate. Decisions! Decisions! Tiring in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katherine, wisdom waits. You will find the right answers. Stay positive and keep reading!

    Here's my The Sunday Post #7

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always happy to see an update here, but please don't feel like you need to apologize or explain being MIA. You've got so much going on and we are all in your corner pulling for you. Will continue praying for you guys and for your decision-making. I'm so delighted that St. Jude's is available for Will. I always knew they were good, but it's nice to hear about them firsthand. Take care, Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all goes well with Will, he sounds incredibly brave. My husband who has MS took unwell when we were last in Orlando on holiday, I was worried what it would be like but I was so impressed by the nurses and doctors, the care they took was incredible especially as we were panicked Scots.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending healthy vibes and wishes for Will's test to come back that he's in remission. Good luck as you try to make a decision on where to stay! So much to think about, but I'm glad you're having such a positive experience at St. Judge's in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you don't have to wait much longer for the results and can only imagine what a struggle it must be trying to decide when/if you can go home. Please don't worry about being MIA here... we are happy for an update whenever you can manage it. You are all in my prayers. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're in my thoughts, Katherine, as you come to a decision.
    I really liked the new Ashley book - such a good series and even better in audio!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing well and hanging in there. I am sending positive thoughts your way. It is great that you have St. Jude's to help you through it all.

    Have a safe week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man that Will is a trooper! Just reading the words "spinal tap" makes me want to hide in the back of a closet. So glad he's doing well with the treatments!

    Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that Will is doing so well, hopefully the news will be good! I hope he does well enough for a visit to the zoo - Memphis Zoo is amazing, my husband and I enjoy going there. Another great place to visit (as long as Will is up to it) is the Pink Palace Museum. Please hang in there. I'm keeping y'all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the mental process can be quite stressful, but glad that Will is hanging in there. I've heard nothing but good things about St. Jude,and am glad you're in such a caring place. I've been reading, taking care of a sick friend and binging on Flea Market Flip with Lara Spencer every Sunday. It's crazy because I've seen almost all of them at least 2-3 times!(lol) Sending Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sending prayers and good thoughts for Will. It's hard to know what to do. Perhaps the doctors will be able to advise you. And maybe you can also see what Will thinks about it all.

    Glad you are enjoying some good books. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope it'll be good news. What a brave boy enduring that spinal tap. A doctor once tried to do one on our youngest when she was about 15-16 months old but she was too tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got my fingers crossed for you for the test results. I can understand the dilemma over when to return home. I guess it comes down to what you feel is right for Will and go with your gut instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so happy when I saw the zoo visit photos. 💟💟💟

    ReplyDelete