Thursday, August 20, 2020

Books from the Backlog - The Clockmaker's Daughter

Today I'm linking up with Carole from Carole's Random Life of Books for Books from the Backlog.  I really enjoy the chance to feature a book that's been hiding in the piles of books for far too long!


Goodreads:  The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton

Description: 

Blurb: In the summer of 1862, a group of young artists led by the passionate and talented Edward Radcliffe descends upon Birchwood Manor on the banks of the Upper Thames. Their plan: to spend a secluded summer month in a haze of inspiration and creativity. But by the time their stay is over, one woman has been shot dead while another has disappeared; a priceless heirloom is missing; and Edward Radcliffe’s life is in ruins.
Over one hundred and fifty years later, Elodie Winslow, a young archivist in London, uncovers a leather satchel containing two seemingly unrelated items: a sepia photograph of an arresting-looking woman in Victorian clothing, and an artist’s sketchbook containing the drawing of a twin-gabled house on the bend of a river.
Why does Birchwood Manor feel so familiar to Elodie? And who is the beautiful woman in the photograph? Will she ever give up her secrets?

Why It Needs to Come Off the Shelf:  I always enjoy Kate Morton's books and this sounds like my kind of read.

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this, although I know a lot of people didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that one, Katherine. Some of her others I liked more but I think you'll be surprised by the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one a couple of years ago and liked it very much. Actually, I listened to it on audio and it was narrated by Joanne Froggatt who was in Downton Abbey (in case that matters - she was Anna).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes I have this one too sitting on my TBR. Maybe you will get to it before me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that cover design and I hope you'll enjoy it when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate Morton's books can be a bit chunky, so I see why this one has been sitting around.

    I have read it... It was good, but not my favourite book of Kate Morton's. I hope you are able to get round to it some time in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen this book around quite a bit. I hope you love it when you get to it. 👍✨

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had started this some time ago but didn't finish since it was due and had a long wait list. I do want to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete